If you’re into making interesting candy for Halloween and don’t want your run of the mill candy bags, you might consider making Harry Potter licorice wands. In the below episode of online baking show “Nerdy Nummies”, vlogger Rosanna Pansino demonstrates how to create a Dumbledore-worthy batch of the pointy magical delicacies. Just in case you want to see all the directions written out, here they are.
Licorice Wand Recipe (Yields 1 Dozen)
INGREDIENTS: -1 stick Butter -1 cup sugar -3/4 cup dark corn syrup -1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk -Pinch salt -3/4 cup Bread flour -2 Tbsp. Anise extract -Chocolate brown food coloring
1. In a sauce pot, mix the butter, sugar, corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk until well combine and place in a candy thermometer.
2. Heat to 260F, stirring occasionally to make sure the sugar isn’t burning.
3. Once it reaches 260F, whisk in the flour and anise quickly, as the flour will brown from the heat of the sugar.
4. Pour into an 8” square cake pan that is lined with parchment and sprayed.
5. Chill for 20 minutes, then remove the licorice from pan and cut with knife to create long thin triangles.
6. Twist the triangles into the want shape and place back onto a lined sheet tray. Chill another 20 minutes to set.
Oh and did I mention Rosanna Pansino looks amazing in a Harry Potter costume? Yeah, there’s that.