I’ve been away from Pokemon ever since Gold and Silver about a decade ago, but I do remember one thing: Magikarp was the worst Pokemon EVER.
That’s why this video caught my eye. It’s a Wi-Fi Pokemon battle between two guys where one actually uses Magikarp as a secret weapon of ultimate destruction. Yeah, I didn’t think it was possible either.
Watch the battle unfold above, and hit the jump for the Pokemaster’s detailed analysis of just what exactly he used to achieve such an “Epic Flail” heh.
1) Smeargle’s Baton Pass attack switchs Pokemon while keeping the stat changes. For instance, any attack or speed raises Smeargle got Magikarp now inherited.
2) In the beginning, I let him hit me so that my Focus Sash could kick in, leaving me at 1 HP. Flail is an attack that does more damage depending on the HP of the attacker. When Magikarp has 1 HP, Flail has a base power of 200, almost as much as Explosion!
3) Belly Drum quadruples the attack of a Pokemon at the cost of half your life. Combined with Substitute, Smeargle is left with 25% of his life and therefore activiates his Salac Berry, which provides a 50% boost to speed.
4) When Smeargle Baton Passes into Magikarp, all of his stat changes are inherited by Magikarp. That brings our friend Magikarp to 388 speed and 520 attack! If that were not enough, Magikarp’s ability, Swift Swim, makes his speed double in the rain to an even better 777!
5) The end result is an incredibly fast and strong Pokemon who can spam attacks nearly as powerful as Explosion against my opponent. Hence, the Magikarp sweep. Plus, there is nothing more embarrassing to losing to the long-time considered weakest Pokemon in the game, right?