May 02 2014

Merida: The First Animated Character to Literally Come Alive

Published by at 1:00 pm under Movies,Videos

Disney has been casting princesses for years, and they’re always pretty girls who smile and wave and take pictures with all the little boys and girls.

But they’ve gone one step further with their Merida casting, and have done their best to make the real-life version a living, breathing copy of the animated original. She’s gorgeous, obviously, but past that has the Scottish accent and personality to match, and really take the effect all the way to eleven. I don’t know enough Scottish people to declare that this is a fake accent (though I’m guessing it is), but she’s doing a damn fine job nonetheless.

6 Responses to “Merida: The First Animated Character to Literally Come Alive”

1. Johnon 02 May 2014 at 1:47 pm

Scottish Unreality reader here, she’s a great Disney princess but the accent is pretty difficult to endure. (Unless she’s learned from some mad teuchter on the islands….there are some bizarre accents up there.)

2. jandhydeon 02 May 2014 at 2:56 pm

I’m not even Scottish and her accent hurts me.

3. David Ron 02 May 2014 at 4:14 pm

And now I know the word “teuchter.” Any connotations I should be aware of?

4. Godlingon 02 May 2014 at 5:17 pm

/snarky_comment
    I don’t think ‘literally’ means what you think it means.

…suuuch an over/miss-used word.

5. MattChion 02 May 2014 at 7:58 pm

She looks the part, but I’d disagree, I find her americanized fake accent pretty grating on the ears.

6. Johnon 05 May 2014 at 2:51 pm

Not particularly – it’s mildly insulting but is most frequently used in a comedic way. Basically, anyone in Scotland is slightly wary of anyone who comes from further north in Scotland than them and will term them a “teuchter” when presented with evidence of their obviously weird ways.

I’m from Glasgow, so to me my friend from Aberdeen is a teuchter. To him anyone from the Sheltand islands rates as one, and is promptly mocked.