Nov 13 2012

5 Cartoon Villains too Sinister for Children

Published by at 10:00 am under Lists,Television

2. Katz, Courage the Cowardly Dog

Katz is the main antagonist in the show, and the most frequent recurring character. He is a tall, red cat who excels in business, sports, and scamming. He is always trying to dupe Courage’s owners Muriel and Eustace.

He has two passions: baking and collecting spiders. He has also used his expertise to manage several businesses, like clubs and hotels, to cover up his schemes.

He loathes dogs, and always posts “No Dogs Allowed” signs on his businesses in unsuccessful attempts to keep Courage out.

It is unknown what drives Katz other than his own greed and self-importance. But he makes for a very unsettling character and a great villain.

1. Him, The Powerpuff Girls

Him is a powerful, clawed, androgynous devil-like creature who wears makeup and traditionally girly clothes and accessories. It is said that he is “so sinister, so evil, so scary, so horribly vile  that his real name can never be said.” He is meant to be the embodiment of pure evil. His conversational voice is an ominous, echoing, high-pitched tone, while his serious and angry voice is deeper and more demonic, but somehow less terrifying than his regular voice.

While most villains in the show aim to destroy, Him prefers torture and psychological terror to destroy his enemies.

He is definitely the most powerful villain in the show, and I’m pretty sure none of the heroes know who they’re really dealing with.

16 Responses to “5 Cartoon Villains too Sinister for Children”

1. monstrinhoon 13 Nov 2012 at 12:22 pm

Him’s (His?) voice is utterly terrifying. Like something out of a nightmare where you dream you’re at school and suddenly you’re naked. and all the other children are made of towers of spiders. And the lights go out.

2. Mark Milleron 13 Nov 2012 at 3:18 pm

I loved him as a child he was the entire reason I watched the show but I was a weird kid.

3. aaronon 13 Nov 2012 at 4:11 pm

him scared me to death as a kid, yet i loved the episodes he was in

4. AdamPhoenix77on 13 Nov 2012 at 9:54 pm

I’m pretty sure HIM’s name was/is/was supposed to be Satan Claws….think about it ;)

5. Benon 13 Nov 2012 at 10:45 pm

Apparently Him’s original name was “Satan Claws’ But he wasn’t allowed to be called that due to censorship, sure explains why he’s wearing a santa outfit and has lobster claws though.

6. vickyon 15 Nov 2012 at 1:29 pm

Courage the Cowardly Dog was such a creepy show

7. Mooksteron 15 Nov 2012 at 10:42 pm

Is it weird that I don’t find the Red Guy with no pants terrifying? Yes he is psychotic but I actually find him funny and he’s the only reason I watched cow and chicken.

8. mikelaron 20 Nov 2012 at 6:59 pm

what about frieza?

9. Zaggnitaon 07 Apr 2013 at 3:16 pm

I loved the list, brought up some good memories. My favorite character would be Katz. In fact, almost every evil/bad character in Courage I loved. But Katz is my fav.

10. Wolverineon 07 Apr 2013 at 6:01 pm

Pegasus wasn’t sinister. He just wanted to bring back his dead wife. Now, his plan to do so was sinister. He could have asked, though, to just borrow what he needed.

11. M. Schneideron 09 Jul 2013 at 9:42 pm

Cartoon villains not for children?

…The #1 cartoon villain of all time would have to be Darkseid from Superman: T%he Animated Series.

As far as I know, he’s the only villain who has ever not only flat-out murdered somebody on-screen, but got away with it.

youtube.com/watch?v=v0pcChyV6o4

12. cloudkicker88on 09 Jul 2013 at 11:34 pm

Ned from courage the cowardly should replace the devil from cow and chicken and frieza should replace pegasus.

13. Geminion 09 Jul 2013 at 11:38 pm

Is it just me or are the scariest villains the ones that are so clearly gay? Him is much scarier now than he was when I was a kid, because I now understand more than I used to…

14. Angelon 10 Jul 2013 at 4:29 am

Him and Pegasus?? REALLY? Dude, get a teddy bear and go to bed. I mean, Him was creepy, sure, but not really scary. And I always wondered if Pegasus was gay. *shrug* Just me.

As for the “Satan Claws” thing, they probably changed it because they didn’t want any kids happening to notice that SATAN can also be SANTA and catch a LOOOOT of heat from parents accusing them of ruining Christmas for their children.

15. That one wolf girlon 10 Jul 2013 at 7:36 am

Just me, but growing up, Him was the absolute reason i didn’t talk to strangers, or guys in drag… Though one day, in my later teenage years, I watched silence of the lambs, During Buffalo Bills dance scene, I made a mental connection between him and Bill. Granted this is just a me thing, but perhaps if the creator of the show had the same though, how scary is that?
    Katz is the only one i would consider * remember being unnerving to me in the past, but i think it was his background music more than anything.

16. That one wolf girlon 10 Jul 2013 at 7:37 am

* thought
    -_- pardon the eight year old keyboard