Oct 24 2012
I’m admittedly rather bearish on the WiiU. Yes, I think it will sell well at launch like any new video game console, particularly when there’s a been a drought of at least six years of any new system coming forth. But do I think it’s going to be kind of smash hit the Wii was? No way. Why? The core concept is just not as easy a sell as it was for the Wii. You swing the controller, your character swings a golf club or tennis racket.
That’s not really the case with the WiiU however, and in this first commercial for the system, we see how these selling points are hard to pitch without them sounding a bit ridiculous. From the video I got that:
1) You can use it like a sort of light gun (pew! pew! pew!)
2) You can share the TV in case your girlfriend is a dick
3) You can use it to zoom in on your target, though the two screens looked identical in that demonstration
4) You can “play in real time for real” though I have literally no idea what the hell that means from what they show, nor how it relates to ZombiU
5) You can “control like never before” which is equally vague, though the example shown is using the controller to spot hidden items, a gimmick invented just so the controller has some use.
In short, none of these are as easy to explain as the simple motions of the Wiimote, and I’m still not sold. it never pays to bet against Nintendo, but I’m remaining skeptical until I experience the “revolution” first hand.
More Unreal Posts