Feb 27 2012

Eight Disturbing Music Videos You May Have Missed

Published by at 11:00 am under Lists,Movies

Broken Social Scene: Sweetest Kill

Director: Claire Edmondson

httpv://youtu.be/2g77t_CnYM8

This is one of those ‘literal’ videos. I hate those. What, our song is called 99 balloons, well then, we demand 99 balloons in the video! It sort of kills the idea of what potentially makes this medium work. If every director thought like this, music videos would have sucked overall.

So why I am including a video on this list, if I think the director took the easy way out? Well, one, we don’t think the director took the easiest way out (that would have been to film the band performing), it takes a certain degree of balls to have murder and gore in your video, and to have it used effectively.

Notice how there are no heavy metal videos on this list? Yeah, that is my point. The key words here are used and effectively. And it is quite graphic and quite effective here, to the credit of both Bijou and director Claire Edmondson.

Plus, I am including it because it has Bijou Phillips in it. Come on, there was a time when that woman was sacred. Also, seeing her kill her boyfriend doesn’t even seem like acting to me. She just seems like the kind of woman who would do that. Which makes the video believable and all the more enjoyable for me. It is also creepy how she sings to him before hand, and you can feel the tension building. Like you KNOW this woman has something in mind.

And the award for more likely to kill you than kiss you goes to…

At times, it feels like an indie horror film to me. Low budget but somehow genuine. I just think it works, and is not what you have come to expect from the format. It definitely gets points for that. Plus it gets an extra guy for Bijou. Which is oddly appropriate, because I’m sure she has eaten weirder things than green mushrooms.

Highlight: I did not expect close up, realistic shots when it came to the dismemberment, so that was quite a shocking surprise.

Aphex Twin: Windowlicker

Director: Chris Cunningham.

httpv://youtu.be/JAt6jpBmHHM

We begin and we end the list with the granddaddies, Aphex Twin and Chris Cunningham.

Though Windowlicker is on here for a very different reason than Come To Daddy. Actually, that’s not true. Both disturb the shit out of me. Come To Daddy is so unsettling, I can feel in my soul, and Windowlicker is a deep disturbance I can feel in my man-bits. It is more psychosexual than anything else.

How so, you may ask, but shouldn’t. Well, the idea in Come To Daddy was to replace a bunch of kids faces with masks of Aphex Twin himself, Richard David James. Well, in Windowlicker, it is JUST LIKE THAT, except they take a bunch of fairly attractive and curvy woman who they place in rap video like scenarios, yet ALSO WEARING THE APHEX TWIN FACE!

If you are a man and you watch this, your twig and berries literally recedes into your abdomen to hide and recoil in terror. It is one of the few music videos you feel in your genitals for ALL the wrong reasons.

But, it is incredibly creepy and wonderfully disturbing, and that’s why we’re here, right?

But she is a great kisser, so there’s that.

Honorable mention: Skrillex – First Of The Year

Director: Tony Truand

httpv://youtu.be/2cXDgFwE13g

I personally think it’s too close in idea and visuals to Come To Daddy to garner a spot on the list, but anytime we get to see a pedo get roughed up, it deserves watching.

MGMT: Kids

Director: Ray Tintori

It is not the video itself that I find disturbing. The special effects for the ‘monsters’ are so bad, that the video is laughable. What I do find slightly disturbing is what they put this child through for the sake of a music video. I worked counseling young survivors of trauma for over five years, and I can confidently say that this kid will probably grow into a pants-pissing adult as a result of this, even if it is a memory locked away in his subconscious. I will admit, intentionally misquoting Nietzsche as Mark Twain at the beginning of the video is pretty f***ing funny, though.

httpv://youtu.be/fe4EK4HSPkI

This is just a start, I could go on and on for pages. Why don’t you guys hit up the comment section and tell us some of your favorite creepy-ass music videos? Please spare us Thriller, though. Tell us about some we HAVEN’T seen. I avoided the easy ones for a reason.

33 Responses to “Eight Disturbing Music Videos You May Have Missed”

1. Frothy_Hamon 27 Feb 2012 at 11:20 am

God I love Aphex Twin.

I can’t decide which video is creepier, Come to Daddy or Windowlicker (WL is creepy for different reasons…maybe more disturbing overall IMO).

2. A6stringroninon 27 Feb 2012 at 11:32 am

Cephalic Carnage’s Ohrwurm is one of those it gets better videos as my friends say. They are not that happy that I showed it to them.

3. jon 27 Feb 2012 at 11:32 am

Rubber Johnny from Aphex Twin is also pretty sick

4. Unknownon 27 Feb 2012 at 11:48 am

Prodigy – Hot Ride was somewhat disturbing as well. Nice List.

5. #SickWarrioron 27 Feb 2012 at 11:49 am

Berndsen – Supertime was most disturbing for me.

http://youtu.be/yuEOqzs76sE if you want one that still gets me badly.

6. Nallon 27 Feb 2012 at 12:05 pm

This has been circulating here and there on the internet but this is totally a strange music video. Catchy song too for electronica fans.

Also, MGMT’s Kids, watch the making of video. The little baby they had in the video was actually well supervised and laughing a lot of the times. Common misconception.

7. Lima Zuluon 27 Feb 2012 at 12:06 pm

I know mentioning Japanese music is almost cheating, but Dir En Grey’s Raison D’être video has a girl spearing out chunks of her eye with a scalpel. That part always got to me.

8. Mr Cinemaon 27 Feb 2012 at 1:05 pm

Stinkfist freaked me the hell out growing up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07pLGIgyfjw

9. Sideshowon 27 Feb 2012 at 1:12 pm

Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden was pretty creepy. Not Top 10 creepy, but I’ll always remember it.

10. Jake Fortneron 27 Feb 2012 at 1:55 pm

@Mr. Cinema

That video is messed up . . . So is Prison Sex from Tool. It’s worse if you know it’s supposed to be molestation and rape . . .

11. Paul S.on 27 Feb 2012 at 2:38 pm

Haven’t seen any of these videos before, but wow…just wtf. Also, I’m surprised you didn’t feature any Tool videos on here as they could easily have been the whole list just like what you said about Aphex Twin. And that weird monkey face reminds me of Christopher Lloyd’s character in Who Framed Roger Rabbit…vaguely…that mofo creeped me out as a little kid. I’ll be sending you the bill from my therapist kthx.

12. Remy Carreiroon 27 Feb 2012 at 3:30 pm

Wow, guys, these are some killer examples you guys are posting in the comments. To be honest. I was VERY close to putting PRISON SEX from Tool on the list, but I held back because I felt that enough people had probably seen it that I reserved the places for some lesser known videos. I also was really torn between Windowlicker and Rubber Johnny for Aphex Twin, but most people I show Rubber Johnny to find it more strange than creepy. As a result, I find THOSE people more creepy. @ Nall, Actually, that news gave me some relief. I looked into the footage you were speaking of and it does alleviate a lot of the fears I had for that small child, so thank you for that. I may just steal some of these examples and make a second list down the road guys. But I swear I will credit where credit is due.

13. Eileenon 27 Feb 2012 at 11:04 pm

Wow! Honestly, I have never seen or heard of any of these music videos. I went to watch one, and couldn’t finish them, that’s how freaked out I was LOL! Seriously though, I never really thought about (indie) horror music videos before. I gotta say though, Skinny Puppy, ‘Worlock’, scared/freaked me out when I first saw it.

14. Jordan K.on 27 Feb 2012 at 11:08 pm

I know you didn’t include any heavy metal videos, but I thought that the video for Metallica’s All Nightmare Long was pretty creepy and had some very haunting and disturbing imagery. Seeing a skinless, emaciated cat rise from the dead and attack people will stick with me for a while.

15. Joeyon 27 Feb 2012 at 11:56 pm

“Pretty when you cry” by VAST always creeped me out too.

16. Nihilus-rexon 28 Feb 2012 at 12:27 am

You have forgotten the most disturbing (and fantastic video of all): Kate Bush’s Experiment IV. I was scared witless when I saw this video as a child:

17. Kyleon 28 Feb 2012 at 5:04 am

I really like that MGMT video. I’ve only ever heard their “Time to Pretend” song; I liked it, too, so I might check more of their stuff out. Thanks.

18. Anonymouson 28 Feb 2012 at 7:18 am

Marilyn Manson’s video for “Tourniquet” is swathed in crazy visuals and the song itself is engulfed in hidden meanings, not to mention just the singing ties shit together nicely. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmfQ7gSaJgM

19. Jonon 28 Feb 2012 at 9:51 am

Where’s Rubber Johnny bro?

20. Mandyon 28 Feb 2012 at 10:40 am

Speaking of creepy videos… did you watch the new Manson video directed by Shia LaBeouf?? It’s one of the most fucked up videos I’ve ever seen… and by the kid that looks like Fred Savage… that alone is shocking enough.

21. Remy Carreiroon 28 Feb 2012 at 1:07 pm

@ Jon, I addressed Rubber Johnny and why I didn’t post it, so read the comment, “bro”. @ Everyone else, Marilyn Mason would have been an easy out. I am a HUGE fan of the Tourniquet video, which I felt meshed gore and visual poetry nicely, but I figured most people had seen them and wanted something a bit more rare. @ Mandy, ALMOST did post that because it is rather shocking, but I have a rule, never give Shai TheBeef props on any list I do, unless it is for Even Stevens. Lmao.

22. Schteeveon 28 Feb 2012 at 1:08 pm

YYYs Y control is pretty nutso too.

23. Mr. Chopperon 28 Feb 2012 at 4:23 pm

Wait… So you won’t pick Y Control cos it’s too similar to Come To Daddy (which, for the record, it completely isn’t), yet you allow the addition of Skrillex’s UTTER RIP OFF?

24. Dondonon 29 Feb 2012 at 9:49 am

Just about any Death in Vegas video could be on the list.

25. Remy Carreiroon 29 Feb 2012 at 5:13 pm

^ I addressed those issues directly in the piece, good sir.

26. John Clarkon 01 Mar 2012 at 1:50 am

“Blue Orchid” by The White Stripes is pretty messed up.

27. Willon 04 Aug 2012 at 12:04 am

How about I Fink U Freeky by Die Antwoord?

I really like the Skrillex video.

28. cageon 01 Oct 2012 at 12:37 pm

We are Water by Health

much more of a Motown and Hip Hop kind of guy but directed by Eric Wareheim!!

TEASGJ! FTW!!

29. RapidRollon 01 Oct 2012 at 1:30 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c7XwsYmF2c top of the top.I will never forget it.

30. DanielAccipiteron 05 Mar 2013 at 8:12 pm

Wow, really? i’ve seen something more disturbing than those, try watch Dir En Grey – Obscure (uncut Version)

31. Himzon 16 May 2013 at 8:06 pm

No First of the Year/Equinox? ARE YOU KIDDING THE GIRL USES THE FORCE SCREAMS CALL 911 AND SLENDERMAN POSSES HER AND POPS BEHIND HER.

ERMAGHERD

32. Emmaon 31 Aug 2013 at 7:38 am

Does anyone know what the singer or song is where the video has a guy with a pig mask on?
    He’s a solo artist and he wears this animal mask and it has a snout and horns.
    It’s really bothering me.

Please help.

33. Blightnesson 19 Dec 2013 at 11:29 am

Matthew Good – Carmelina?