Feb 21 2012

Eight Amazing Lines in Movies that Were Unscripted

Published by at 8:00 am under Movies

One of our favorite sites Listal did a great piece on a list of unscripted scenes in movies.    That list contained around 25 items.   We however, wanted to slim it down to only include those scenes we thought were particularly amazing and highly impacting on the films that took place in.  Also we felt appropriate just to mention the movie lines themselves.

Sometimes it takes a funny mistake to make a scene great, and sometimes it takes the awesome creativity or humorous side of an actor to make something happen that the director couldn’t possibly plan.

Here are 8 memorable movie lines you might not have known were unscripted….

Caddyshack – “It’s in the Hole!”

Leave it to Bill Murray to say something simple yet remains one of, if not the most popular line in that movie.

Jaws – “You’re Gonna Need a Bigger Boat”

I had no idea that Roy Scheider was so insightful.   Clearly that line is used today in a myriad of different ways.   Pretty funny it wasn’t even written for the movie.

The Empire Strikes Back – “I Know”

Remember when Leia tells Han that she loves him and he tells her he knows?  Harrison Ford improvised that one.  I guess we has pretty cocky.

The Usual Suspects – “Give me the Keys…..”

Sometimes it’s not the line itself but the way it’s said.  The scene during the lineup at the police station where they all had to say “Give me  the Keys you &*&*&*$#@,” each member was given free reign on how they’d say it.

18 Responses to “Eight Amazing Lines in Movies that Were Unscripted”

1. Gilon 21 Feb 2012 at 8:22 am

R. Lee Ermey was an actual drill instructor in the marine corps for some time. When given the role of Gunnery Sergeant Hartman he looked over his part and told the director that drill instructors don’t talk like that. So they told him to have at it. I also think he assisted as a military reference on a few movies before FMJ.

2. Live for Filmson 21 Feb 2012 at 9:09 am

Good list

I think the “I could have been a contender” from On The Waterfront was also improvised by Marlon Brando

3. Nattybon 21 Feb 2012 at 9:38 am

He was the man in that film.

4. ORAon 21 Feb 2012 at 10:05 am

R. Lee Ermey was the man in Full metal that whole sequence was his and his alone one of the few actors that Kubrick allowed to have that much freedom in a scene.

5. Joshon 21 Feb 2012 at 10:20 am

I’d like to nominate just about anything from Will Ferrell in Anchorman, specifically the things he said while ‘on air’. Step Brothers featured a lot of improv from Ferrell and Reilly as well, specifically the nonsense they spew during their fights.

The “Singing in the Rain” lines from A Clockwork orange is also pretty awesome

6. gillon 21 Feb 2012 at 10:30 am

Not trying to be annoying but, I think you meant

“I guess he was pretty cocky”, not “I guess we has pretty cocky.”

7. Dresteron 21 Feb 2012 at 10:38 am

Probably the most famous line in movie history and I don’t even know what it means.

8. Steveon 21 Feb 2012 at 12:01 pm

Please, somebody make a cheezeburger cat image that says “we has pretty cocky”.

9. HarshRealityon 21 Feb 2012 at 12:10 pm

Yeah, like the comments say. R.Lee improved his entire dialouge

10. Jim Laheyon 21 Feb 2012 at 2:13 pm

@Gil

Beat me to it. Nice explanation.

11. Atticuson 21 Feb 2012 at 5:37 pm

In “Midnight Cowboy”, the famous “I’m walkin’ here” line was entirely improvised.

12. Henryon 21 Feb 2012 at 6:50 pm

“SHE HAS A B—GREAT ASS!!!!!!!!!”

13. Beanie-Boyon 21 Feb 2012 at 7:58 pm

Not a “spoken line” improvise but the scene in Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark where Harrison Ford pulls out his gun and shoots the swordsman after showing off his sword skills, originally Ford was suppossed to have a long drawn out fight with the swordsman but he and the rest of the cast got food poisoning the day shooting began, so he just pulled out his gun and shot the swordsman (not literally) as a joke because he felt so sick and the director thought it was great and left it in the film

14. Vincenton 21 Feb 2012 at 9:27 pm

“I guess we has pretty cocky.”

Lysdexic much? :P

15. MetFanMacon 22 Feb 2012 at 9:01 am

Hopkins wasn’t making a “shooshing sound”, he was mimicking SLURPING UP THE OTHER GUY’S LIVER.

16. Evanon 22 Feb 2012 at 8:52 pm

It doesn’t surprise me at all that Ermey improvised his lines in Full Metal Jacket. He actually was a drill instructor in the Marine Corps. before becoming an actor.

17. Edgarskaon 25 Feb 2012 at 6:11 am

I just want to say that the drill sergeant scene in Full Metal Jacket is the single most amazing scene in cinema history.
    Not only unscripted scenes, but scripted as well.

18. Joeon 06 Oct 2012 at 2:11 pm

Taking the concept from another article and doing outside research and expanding on it in new and interesting ways can be powerful. Summarizing another article and calling it a new article is lazy. Your high school teachers would be dissapointed.