Feb 17 2012

The United States of Movies

Published by at 1:00 pm under Images,Movies

(click to enlarge)

I don’t think I’ve posted this before, but with a thousand articles a year, it’s tough to be sure. In any case, it’s a map that shows each state associated with a specific movie that was set there.

Find your own? What did you end up with? Here in Michigan, I managed to get 8 Mile, which I suppose could be worse. At least it wasn’t American Pie. And screw you Tennessee, The Evil Dead was totally set in Michigan.

Do you think your state should have had a different film featured?

24 Responses to “The United States of Movies”

1. MarkShekon 17 Feb 2012 at 1:04 pm

Hoosiers is arguably the least controversial selection on there, so no arguments here.

2. Jim Laheyon 17 Feb 2012 at 1:25 pm

Also from Michigan here, and I completely agree about Evil Dead. My friends were all obsessed with that movie because all those guys were from Michigan.

Though I was born in and moved back to Chicago, so I also have to weigh in on The Blues Brothers: AKA my favorite movie of all time.

Good find, Paul.

3. Bad Acidon 17 Feb 2012 at 1:32 pm

Hawaii and Alaska? The only Hawaii movies I know of off the top of my head are 50 First Dates, The Descendants, and Forgetting Sarah Marshall (of which I’ve only seen 50 First Dates… regrettably)

I guess you could say
    *puts in sunglasses*
    Hawaii got Lost
    EEYYYEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

4. marieon 17 Feb 2012 at 1:54 pm

What a lousy map. Misery was set in Colorado, not Maine

5. Gilon 17 Feb 2012 at 1:55 pm

I have to imagine there is something better than Remember the Titans for Virginia. Maybe we’re just that dull.

6. Mulltalicaon 17 Feb 2012 at 2:07 pm

At least you got a movie. I’m in Connecticut, and we just got lumped in with Massachussetts and Good Will Hunting.

7. Lynneon 17 Feb 2012 at 2:18 pm

Good Will Hunting covers five states?

8. Iainon 17 Feb 2012 at 2:26 pm

“Michigan State students, Ash, Scotty, Linda, Cheryl and Shelly, venture into the hills and mountains of Tennessee to spend a weekend in an isolated cabin.”

So no, it was Tennessee.

9. Andyon 17 Feb 2012 at 2:33 pm

@Mulltalica

Ugh, I’m with you. Looks like Vermont, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island got lumped in there, too.

10. Alexon 17 Feb 2012 at 3:00 pm

There are so many better movies to encompass Washington than First Blood. Personally, I’d go for either Say Anything or Singles, but The Ring is also a good one (despite it not very accurately representing Seattle).

11. Gilon 17 Feb 2012 at 3:11 pm

Personally I would prefer Die Hard 2 since it takes place at Dulles International.

As far as Connecticut, you have The Skulls (the secret society movie), Beetlejuice, and The Stepford Wives. Pick your choice.

12. Gilon 17 Feb 2012 at 3:13 pm

@ Alex, thy could have given you Twilight

13. svc24on 17 Feb 2012 at 3:35 pm

Hell yeah, Scarface!

14. Alexon 17 Feb 2012 at 3:42 pm

@Gil, I suppose there are worse things than First Blood.

15. JessKittyon 17 Feb 2012 at 4:45 pm

Didn’t RI get Clerks? It should have gotten “Something about Mary.”

16. Jasonon 17 Feb 2012 at 11:54 pm

I hate that 8 Mile was chosen Michigan. It should have been Gran Torino.

17. mcculloughon 18 Feb 2012 at 12:08 am

How did minnesota get purple rain and not fargo? and before someone points out fargo is in ND, no shit, but it takes place mostly in bemijdi.

18. Joeon 19 Feb 2012 at 1:42 am

Delaware is too small to show up on the map, or else we’d see FIGHT CLUB on there.

As for my homestate of Texas, I’d have gone with Giant (the source of all Texas stereotypes) or Friday Night Lights (the most accurate portrayal of the state to date).

19. Willie McCoyon 20 Feb 2012 at 2:30 pm

Arkansas got Sling Blade, which isn’t bad, but we should of got Smokey and the Bandit or True Grit.

20. Verveon 22 Feb 2012 at 8:59 pm

‘Groundhog Day’ for PA?
    Howabout Romeo’s ‘Night of the Living Dead’ (And ‘Dawn’)? Sheesh.

21. The Ton 22 Apr 2012 at 3:15 pm

Tony Montana: Me, I want what’s coming to me.
    Manny: Oh, well what’s coming to you?
    Tony Montana: The world, chico, and everything in it.
    lol ended up with Scarface one of the best and most well known movies on the list, probably only behind no country for old men, and Wizard of Oz.

22. Will_Slowon 22 Apr 2012 at 3:22 pm

Being from CT i’m disappointing to get lumped in with good will hunting. It has absolutely nothing to do with CT. I suppose either A haunting in CT or Beetle Juice would have worked.

Currently living in Indiana I would say that Hoosiers is perfect. This whole place is Hoosiers.

23. Amyon 22 Apr 2012 at 3:38 pm

Uh, Sleepless in Seattle? Or was that not actually filmed there? lol

24. Amyon 22 Apr 2012 at 3:38 pm

Oh, and Twilight wasn’t filmed in WA. Or does it just need to be based there?