Jan 27 2012

My Ten Favorite Tracks from Video Game Soundtracks

Published by at 12:00 pm under Lists,Video Games,Videos

My friends all laugh at me, because whenever I drive anywhere, the first song playing from my iPod is generally from a video game or movie soundtrack. I’m a product of my environment, and my musical tastes are heavily influenced by movies, trailers, tv shows and games, and as such I have “terrible” taste in music according to everyone else. So be it.

But I think there are some damn good tracks out there, particularly on video game soundtracks. You might not notice them as you’re playing, but if you do, chances are they’re pretty damn good to distract you from your task at hand.

These ten tracks I’ve been listening to long after I put down the controller. See if my terrible musical tastes might actually match your own with a few of these.

10. Portal 2 – Science is Fun

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgqaGW0QIc4

It’s too stereotypical to put “Still Alive” on this list, and honestly, it wouldn’t be truthful if I did. While that was a hilarious track from the game, I haven’t listened to it more than a handful of times since. But “Science is Fun?” It’s a kickass electronic track that really motivates me when I work out.

9. Mirror’s Edge – Still Alive

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TERyxFfMqDk

Aha! I did manage to get Still Alive in here, but not the one you were thinking. MIrror’s Edge’s titular track had the same name, and I though it made for a nice contrast with the tone of the game. It’s a pretty damn good song to boot.

8. Ocarina of Time – Epona’s Song

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BClFe2U8p7E

Zelda games are known for their music, but Epona’s Song is still stuck in my head after all these years. It’s sort of relaxing, but vaguely creepy. I thought about replacing it with Saria’s Song or Song of Storms, but those kind of stress me out.

7. Mass Effect – Vigil

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w097Q0fZE-A

I love the soundtracks for both Mass Effect games, but now Vigil is actually a nostalgic track for me, as it’s what played when you first loaded your character every time in the original game. It’s ambient and lovely, and I’ll never forget it.

6. Bastion – The Singer

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-95BeFyMFYY

I  just finished playing Bastion about a week ago, but The Singer is already cemented in my mind as a classic track in a game filled with wonderful music.

48 Responses to “My Ten Favorite Tracks from Video Game Soundtracks”

1. XenoIrishon 27 Jan 2012 at 12:05 pm

This is a decent Rock cover of Icarus from Deus Ex:

2. bankoon 27 Jan 2012 at 12:15 pm

To me, videogame music will always be midi. Terra’s theme from FF6, Schala’s theme from Chrono, One winged angel from FF7.

3. JBon 27 Jan 2012 at 12:38 pm

The twisted metal 2 loading screen has a good finger snapping tune.

4. Steveon 27 Jan 2012 at 12:38 pm

There’s so much great videogame soundtracks, I wouldn’t even know where to begin. I’ll try a top ten:

10. Sonic 1 – Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles
    9. Mega Man X1 – X3 (X5 had a few good tracks)
    8. Mega Man 1 – 4 (8 had some damn good music as well)
    7. Ninja Gaiden NES Trilogy
    6. Castlevania SOTN (I’m sure the earlier games ost’s could go here, but I’ve only played Simon’s Quest)
    5. Chrono Trigger
    4. Need For Speed 1-5
    3. Resident Evil 1&2 (spooky ambiance FTW)
    2. Pretty much ANY Mario game (the original trilogy on NES, Mario World 1&2, RPG on SNES, and Mario 64)
    1. Metroid series, but most importantly, SUPER METROID. No game soundtrack does it better.

Paul, I hope you’re as familiar with gh.ffshrine.org (Galbadia Hotel) as I am, because if not, GO THERE RIGHT NOW and prepare to spend the entire weekend doing nothing but downloading original vg music, as well as a PLETHORA of AWESOME remixes.

5. mike hunton 27 Jan 2012 at 1:11 pm

no mention of halo soundtracks?

6. Jacobon 27 Jan 2012 at 1:23 pm

This here is one of my favorites

7. Bernardoon 27 Jan 2012 at 1:27 pm

Uhh I’m currently playing Deus Ex and I really hope that picture isn’t actually part of the game. Otherwise it’s a huge spoiler D:

8. Paulon 27 Jan 2012 at 1:36 pm

I’m aware that all the tracks are available elsewhere, but the soundtrack to SSX3 is pretty killer for good road trip music. Just my 2 cents worth.

9. Paul Tassion 27 Jan 2012 at 1:44 pm

@Bernardo

It’s not.

10. poguemahoneon 27 Jan 2012 at 2:12 pm

In my opinion, Mass Effect 2 had the greatest soundtrack of any game ever. It’s just far and away better than the generic stuff most roleplaying games (Fable, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim to a lesser degree) throw at you.

Unfortunately they got rid of the guy who did that soundtrack and replaced him with a film score veteran for the third game. I’ll keep my mind open, but the dude has his work cut out for him if he wants to top ME2′s music.

11. Pedro Machadoon 27 Jan 2012 at 2:33 pm

Note – the Portal soundtrack is avaliable for free download here

12. ALexon 27 Jan 2012 at 2:50 pm

No Kingdom Hearts 1 AND 2!!! Those were some of the best piano songs I ever heard on a video game. And lets not forget Utada singing the themes songs for both of them.

13. STX81on 27 Jan 2012 at 2:51 pm

Soul Edge Intro Song

14. Toraon 27 Jan 2012 at 3:38 pm

No Skyrim theme or Pokémon fight music? :O Are you ill?

15. Gabrielon 27 Jan 2012 at 4:13 pm

My favorites will always be:

To Zanarkand – FFX
    Breath of Fire theme
    J-E-N-O-V-A – FFVII
    Ronfaure- FFXI

16. Derekon 27 Jan 2012 at 4:14 pm

Civilization IV – Baba Yetu
    Chrono Cross – Time’s Scar and Dreamwatch of Time
    Chrono Trigger – To Faraway Times
    Secret of Evermore – Greek Temple and Introduction (still Jeremy Soule’s best soundtrack)
    Secret of Mana – The Second Truth from the Left
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles – Kazezone
    Tales of the Abyss – Karma

Clearly I’m a sucker for great intro and ending themes.

17. Andyon 27 Jan 2012 at 5:00 pm

Soul Blazer – Sad Town

Secret of Mana – The Color of the Summer Sky

Final Fantasy VI – Kids Run Through the City Corner

Final Fantasy VI – Terra

Mega Man 2 – Dr Wily’s Castle

Street Fighter 2 – Guile’s Theme

Castlevania SOTN – Dracula’s Castle

Metroid – Kraid’s Theme

Dragon Warrior – Chateau Ladutorm

Final Fantasy – Town

It’s possible I missed something, but this is a pretty good lineup off the top of my head. NES and SNES really can’t be beaten in the music department…

18. Frankon 27 Jan 2012 at 5:34 pm

Final Fantasy VIII – Fisherman’s Horizon
    Chrono Cross – the entire soundtrack is great
    Heavy Rain – Before the Storm
    Rival Schools (opening theme)
    Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver – Ozar Midrashim

19. Kimberlyon 27 Jan 2012 at 7:07 pm

The entire Suikoden 2 soundtrack. Enough said.

20. trashcanmanon 27 Jan 2012 at 9:55 pm

Every single track from Final Fantasy IV. Also, the Halo theme cannot be beaten. Search your heart, you know this to be true.

21. randomon 27 Jan 2012 at 11:13 pm

it has anything from the first 2 tony hawk games, influenced what i listened to today

22. StephieOceloton 28 Jan 2012 at 1:54 am

That song isn’t from Final Fantasy X. Here is a link that shows the music of FF X:

There are a lot of good FF songs.Here are a list of a few great FF songs:

FF X – Besaid Island
    FF X-2 Eternity~Memories of Waves and Light
    FF VII- Cosmo Canyon
    FF VIII – Blue Fields
    FF IX – Vamo’ Alla Flamenco

As a video game list well…

1) Old Snake – Metal Gear Solid 4
    2) You Were There – ICO ( I find it fun to sing the course)
    3) (Sorry) Besaid Island – FFX
    4) Cohens Masterpiece – Bioshock
    5) Witchcraft – Silent Hill Homecoming
    6) Dog Ending Music – Silent Hill 2 (have that as a text ring tone pretty awesome to here people tell you that your phone was barking)
    7) Megacorp Outlet – Ratchet and Clank Going Commando
    8) King of King’s – We <3 Katamari (crazy ass song but pretty awesome)
    9) Snake Eater – Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    10) Pool of Tears – American McGee's Alice

^_^

23. Aether McLoudon 28 Jan 2012 at 8:22 am

No love for the epic Crysis 2 theme?

24. Mike aka MonolithTMAon 28 Jan 2012 at 9:01 am

The Myst games have great music, so do the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games from Bethesda. A lot of good choices here.

25. filipakoson 28 Jan 2012 at 9:55 am

FFxiii has a lot of awesome soundtracks(not the pal version).Its one more reason why i liked this game.
    Haters gonna hate

26. Coleon 28 Jan 2012 at 4:34 pm

I bought the whole Borderlands Soundtrack. I loved the futuristic western feel of it.

27. JoeSchmoeon 29 Jan 2012 at 2:10 pm

I praise you for including Vigil.

28. RemyCarreiroon 29 Jan 2012 at 10:08 pm

Icarus may be the best theme of any video game ever. That song is (almost inexplicably) haunting and the musical composition itself is brilliant.

29. Kjayon 30 Jan 2012 at 9:33 am

Bayonetta! There’s some great upbeat stuff, and one Nocturne that just makes me want to sit by the fire with a drink and chill.

30. Andréon 30 Jan 2012 at 11:01 am

Xenogears – Flight

Breath of Fire III – For Old Friends ~Teepo’s Theme~

Chrono Cross – The Girl Who Stole The Stars

Final Fantasy IX – You’re Not Alone!

Final Fantasy V – Battle at the Big Bridge

Chrono Trigger – Battle with Magus

Silent Hill 2 – Theme of Laura

Wild ARMs – Into the Wilderness

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney – Pressing Pursuit ~Cornered~

OutRun – Magical Sound Shower

31. JStewon 30 Jan 2012 at 11:14 am

Some of my favorites, can’t remember individual song titles at the moment:

Metal Gear Solid. MGS2 was also incredible.
    Serious Sam (original). Always pumped me up to kill wave after wave of baddies.
    Quake 1. Trent has perfected the art of gloomy environments.

32. fraggerronon 30 Jan 2012 at 12:10 pm

what no snake eater mgs3

33. Nick Son 30 Jan 2012 at 12:44 pm

No real addition here other than to add that I’ve had Kefka’s theme and Celes’ opera on my ipod since it came out.

Oh, and the final Kefka battle (around 28 minutes; two tracks)… greatness.

Excellent post…. just excellent.

34. Keith Bon 30 Jan 2012 at 2:11 pm

Anything from Outlaws, especially Sanchez the Outlaw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFWOl9XoxC4).

35. Beerba Fetton 30 Jan 2012 at 3:49 pm

Streets of rage soundtracks.

36. arturon 30 Jan 2012 at 5:36 pm

Icarus from deus Ex is great.
    Also in the same style and atmosphere of McCanns work on Deus Ex, – Crysis 2 main theme by Hans Zimmer which I think is in first equal with Deus.

37. selunesmomon 31 Jan 2012 at 12:32 am

Silent Hill 1: Hometown

Silent Hill 2: Room of Angel

Silent Hill 3: You’re Not Here, I want Love

Rule of Rose: A Love Suicide

Dragon Age Origins: Leiliana’s Song soundtrack

Bioshock 1: Ocean on His Shoulders, Empty Houses, and Cohen’s Masterpiece

Seventh Guest: The Game

Final Fantasy 10: Guardian’s sending

Max Payne: Main Theme (Tragedy of a Bullet)

Parasite Eve: Beauty’s Abomination

38. Rosson 31 Jan 2012 at 1:46 am

Any of the Myst series soundtracks, though Riven (Myst 2) is my favourite. Composed by Robyn Miller.

Jack Wall did the later ones and also worked on games like Mass Effect. Myst is an extremely immersive game and the soundtracks really capture the amazing worlds.

39. Elieon 31 Jan 2012 at 3:46 am

Frozen Synapse music is something I cannot but hear everyday.

40. WOLeadon 31 Jan 2012 at 5:21 pm

Quest for Glory 1: Erana’s Peace

Quest for Glory V: Dance of Mystery and Intrigue

Quest for Glory IV: Wraith Battle

Bastion has more that I really like, but I’m still trying to identify which is which. And The Singer is already listed.

41. Steveon 31 Jan 2012 at 6:27 pm

Skywire.

42. TextualChocolateon 01 Feb 2012 at 1:05 am

The pause music from Battletoads.

The end theme of Fatal Frame 2 – Chou.

Megaman 2 – Wiley’s Theme.

43. Kyleon 01 Feb 2012 at 3:47 pm

To Zanarkand from FFX keeps me up at night listening to it to this day.

44. jfvb2on 01 Feb 2012 at 9:10 pm

Lunar Silver Star Story the boat song

45. TKon 02 Feb 2012 at 1:20 am

Chrono Cross – Garden of the Gods, Shadow Forest & Predicament

Okami – Harami Lake, Ushiwaka’s Appearance, Kusanagi Village & The Tribe of the Heavenly God’s Theme

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night – Lost Painting & Prayer

Final Fantasy VI – Terra’s Theme

Silent Hill 3 – You’re Not Here & Memory of the Waters

Parasite Eve – Missing Perspective, Wheel of Fortune & Kyrie

Kyrie from Parasite Eve is probably one of the most haunting/creepy songs I’ve heard from a game soundtrack. I would really recommend the whole Parasite Eve Soundtrack since it is one of the most unique soundtracks I’ve ever heard for a game.

On a side note: my friend gave me some Mt. Eden dubstep for Still Alive from Mirror’s Edge. I’ve been trying to find out where the original came from ’cause I really wanted to hear the song in a non-dubstep format. Now I know where the song is from, so thanks for that! I really don’t like dubstep, but that one is actually pretty nice.

46. xdron 02 Feb 2012 at 5:52 am

I used too insert carmageddon cd in my car stereo and listen to the soundtrack. You might say that it influenced my driving style a bit :)

47. MaDSaMon 13 Oct 2012 at 12:52 pm

Amazing! :D

48. Mikeon 13 Oct 2012 at 4:26 pm

For me Chrono Trigger has always held a special place in my heart for all of the music in it. To me, nothing else will ever quite come close to the musical brilliance that is Chrono Trigger. From the opening of the game, to each character’s own music to battle fights and the end of the game it is a masterpiece.