Sep 28 2011

When Up Meets Dead Island

Published by at 2:00 pm under Movies,Video Games,Videos

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSBc7UPGInI

I’ve long thought that if you put the famous Dead Island trailer piano track to any video, it makes whatever you’re watching infinitely more sad. The haunting melody stays with you, and has potent effects even when not paired with the original source material.

So what happens if you put it with a scene that’s ALREADY extremely sad? Get ready to grab some kleenex. The video above lays the track over the Ellie and Carl intro scene from Up, which is one of the most heart-wrenching movie moments in recent memory already. What amplifies the effect even further is that magically the track really seems to line up with what’s happening onscreen, particularly when she’s tightening his ties and when he floats the balloon over to her in the hospital.

Anyway, I hope you weren’t planning on being happy today.

7 Responses to “When Up Meets Dead Island”

1. Matthiason 28 Sep 2011 at 4:18 pm

Goddamnit. I never cried, and I mean really sobbing because of a movie or a game or whatever. maybe wet eyes, but not crying. But this video? I was sobbing like a little baby. Thanks for showing me this. Makes me feel human and alive.

2. Con 28 Sep 2011 at 10:23 pm

I wasn’t planning on being happy today. But damn you, Paul, I was not planning on being that sad!

3. pepperon 29 Sep 2011 at 12:15 am

dammit. Sad is okay, but not /this/ sad!

4. [...] When ‘Up’ meets ‘Dead Island.’ (Unreality Magazine) [...]

5. Violets dyedon 29 Sep 2011 at 11:19 am

One of my favorite movies of all time but that scene. My wife and I always start crying and get that look in our eyes – but coupled with that music – I wonder what that scene would look like accompanied by Barber’s Adagio for Strings.

6. john v.on 29 Sep 2011 at 4:12 pm

that was brutal.

7. BobSmithon 02 Oct 2011 at 6:29 pm

I had a different reaction. This music just seems mismatched. It doesn’t follow the mood or tempo of what we’re watching. This scene was far more poignant before, with the original music.