Aug 31 2011

Fun with Game of Thrones Minimalism

Published by at 11:00 am under Images,Television

I like minimalism, I like Game of Thrones, therefore it stands to reason I like a well done combination of the two.

This series of simplistic Game of Thrones images from Thomas Gateley shows the five major houses of the show, along with a tagline that suitably sums them up. Their house animal makes an appearance, and I suppose these could be t-shirts if he really wanted them to be. Unfortunately I just used up my GoT shirt budget for the week already.

It’s been a little while since the show was last on, so pardon my question. Which house was the Arryn’s again? Is that Lady Stark’s family or someone else? I seem to remember the name “John Arryn” but I don’t remember why. Refresh me?

11 Responses to “Fun with Game of Thrones Minimalism”

1. hun23on 31 Aug 2011 at 11:03 am

House Arryn are the keepers of the Vale. You saw Cat’s sister (breasfeeding crazy lady Lysa). Lysa is the widow of Jon Arryn

2. JeremyHon 31 Aug 2011 at 11:41 am

The same artist has some more designs here:

3. SGDon 31 Aug 2011 at 12:04 pm

tagline? Those are the houses’ motto.

4. cason 31 Aug 2011 at 12:14 pm

John Arryn was the hand of the king before Eddard, and was also kind of a mentor to to him and Robert.

5. Jasonon 31 Aug 2011 at 2:40 pm

Not to mention the one who kept both Ned and Robert alive when Robert started his rebellion against the Targaryens. Also, I’d definitely buy the Lannister one as a print for my room.

6. Venroon 31 Aug 2011 at 3:56 pm

And to throw a bit more information in there. Cat’s side of the family is House Tully and their crest is a trout.

7. thegreatfatsbyon 31 Aug 2011 at 5:13 pm

Looks like Paul should go and read the books instead of just loving Game of Thrones for the TV series. It’s not like the Arryn household isn’t mentioned liberally throughout the series.

I still want to build me a sky cell for when the parents visit.

8. Lauraon 01 Sep 2011 at 2:34 pm

everytime I come to this site…. you are asking your readers questions more than you are giving them new information… thanks for reminding me why I stopped coming here

9. Markon 01 Sep 2011 at 6:58 pm

As hun mentioned, House Arryn are the Keepers of the Vale. Their sigil/animal is a falcon. Catelyn is actually from the Tully’s out of Riverrun. Her sister (also a Tully, duh), married Jon Arryn (as previously mentioned).

FYI, the Tully’s sigil/animal is a leaping trout :-)

10. Jameson 05 Sep 2011 at 5:22 pm

You can see where they film game of thrones at

I live close by and it’s great to see them all filming the scenes and then watch it on TV!!

11. LiquidSoulDesignon 30 Nov 2011 at 6:42 pm

Hi Guys

It’s Tom here

Not sure if people are interested but prints are now available from the following website.