Jul 05 2011

Book Covers Crafted from Video Games

Published by at 10:00 am under Images,Video Games

(click to enlarge)

I don’t do as much reading as I should these days, as my time is spent divided between trying to keep up with every movie, show and video game out there, while writing articles about them 15 times a day.

But if I could combine the activities? If reading allowed me to better understand my favorite games? That would be killing two birds with one stone!

The books you’re about to see here don’t actually exist, but rather they’re an art project from AJ Hateley, who took classic games and made them into classic books. There are some very cool entries here, and I’d actually buy a few as posters if they existed. Check out the rest below:

16 Responses to “Book Covers Crafted from Video Games”

1. Adamon 05 Jul 2011 at 7:54 pm

My favorite is the MGS book.

2. Zekeon 06 Jul 2011 at 8:50 am

I think the first Portal cover is my favorite. Simply for “Neurotoxins: An Introduction”

I’d definitely collect these books if they were ever written.

3. [...] More pics here [...]

4. Andrew D.on 07 Jul 2011 at 3:28 am

These would actually make amazing Kindle and Nook covers.

5. coron 14 Jul 2011 at 3:05 am

If I were to have one issue with these covers, it’s that the focus tends to be in the bottom right on most covers

6. [...] old Penguin book covers. The low-res image above doesn’t really do these justice. Check out Unreality for the full size pics. Tagged with: Books, Half Life, Katamari, Limbo, metal gear, pokemon, [...]

7. Jmacon 14 Jul 2011 at 10:12 am

I want to read one of these! :D

8. Richon 14 Jul 2011 at 1:41 pm

The artist does have these on sale at http://www.redbubble.com/people/AJHateley/portfolio/videogames+art

You can get shirts, posters, wall art and more.

9. Zachon 14 Jul 2011 at 2:28 pm

Sorry for asking but what’s the 5th one? I know all the others just that one stumped me :/

10. Carla Skjongon 14 Jul 2011 at 2:42 pm

The Wonderful End of The World cover looks like an Edward Gorey drawing. I like it!

11. Carloson 14 Jul 2011 at 3:18 pm

This is the coolest thing I’ve seen in a while, just brilliant!.

12. John Galton 14 Jul 2011 at 4:02 pm

@Zach – It’s the Left 4 Dead series.

13. Mackon 21 Jul 2011 at 7:38 am

What’s bugging me is that while The Wonderful End Of the World is a similiar game to Katamari Damacy (it’s nowhere near as good, but still) it isn’t Katamari Damacy. It’s made by the people who made “AAAaa A Reckless Disregard for Gravity” and instead of rolling a ball you’re a puppet who grows when stuff sticks to it. Apart from that they’re amazing.

14. kyleon 25 Jul 2011 at 4:48 pm

loved these! especially the Shadow of the Colossus one, and the wasteland survival guide from Fallout 3.

one minor issue. there’s a typo on the book titled “farewell, my dear”: “do not remove from extended *rexalation* centre.” the spelling of “centre” raised an eyebrow, because Aperture Science was based in America– but I can’t say where the artist came from… so i shut my mouth here.

15. davidon 28 Jul 2011 at 3:53 pm

lol i read 3 of them before i even noticed it was videogame carecters

16. rikk789on 12 Aug 2011 at 10:59 am

Naomi Hunter didnt write ‘In the Darkness…’ It was Nastasha Romanenko. Cool concepts otherwise