Jun 09 2011

The True Iron Chef

Published by at 3:00 pm under Images,Movies

It definitely took me a few looks to decide that this wasn’t in fact Robert Downey Jr. wandering off the set of Iron Man 2. I’m still not entirely convinced, as that armor set looks pretty freaking elaborate, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen Downey smile like that.

In any case, it’s a great pun to be sure, and I couldn’t pass it up. I would imagine that between all his flamethrowing and other gadgetry, Iron Man probably would be the guy best suited to making dinner at Avengers HQ, and I’d love to see a Joss Whedon-written script in that film where he, Thor, Captain America and The Hulk all argue about what they should have for dinner.

What exactly is he carving up there?

20 Responses to “The True Iron Chef”

1. Hoptonon 09 Jun 2011 at 3:04 pm

That looks like Gyro, a type of Greek meaty goodness!

Wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_(food)

2. Filosoraptoron 09 Jun 2011 at 3:16 pm

I would say it’s a type of pork meat that’s called “Trompo” or “Pastor” in Mexico, which is very popular for tacos. I’m assuming this because if you look at the banner behind him you can read “La Parrilla” backwards, which is spanish for “The grill”.

3. tabbion 09 Jun 2011 at 3:53 pm

Its Kebap and its probably the most popular fast food here in Germany. Its a turkish dish http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doner_kebab

4. JohnYoon 09 Jun 2011 at 3:56 pm

shawarma.

5. lookaon 09 Jun 2011 at 4:45 pm

yep its a kebap..

6. thegreatfatsbyon 09 Jun 2011 at 4:59 pm

I always thought it was kebab? At least that’s the way they pronounce it over here in Ireland, but it’s probably kebap if those guys above are from Germany. Wouldn’t have thought it would be that popular in Germany though.

Thought it was more a thing for the English to chow down on after a night out drinking.

7. vaexon 09 Jun 2011 at 6:49 pm

In Germany it’s also written kebab. The Turkish pronounce it as kebap… But that doesn’t matter. It’s delicious and yeah it’s f*** popular here. I like it before drinking :)

8. Anon E. Mooseon 09 Jun 2011 at 8:30 pm

Where I come from it’s a Donner (pronounced Dune-err) kebab. Donner for short.

9. Heenon 09 Jun 2011 at 9:05 pm

Paul, if you’ve never eatin this before, please do so ASAP. Get a lamb gyro and thank me later.

10. erye5yeyon 09 Jun 2011 at 10:22 pm

its shwarma, popular in saudi arabia.

11. pedroon 10 Jun 2011 at 1:27 am

Here in brazil its called greek bbq, and only 1 place out of 20 do this the right way, the others are just some meat that is 1 day to be considered rotten and would be in the garbage bin anyway. Its sad because, aside from being a waste of food, look like a nice meal. The wrong places do this with a giant onion at the top

12. Berton 10 Jun 2011 at 1:03 pm

Looks like shawarma to me – and it’s amazing.

13. Hoptonon 10 Jun 2011 at 2:25 pm

Turkish Donner/kebab and Greek Gyro are basically the same thing. Greece was under turkish rule for a few hundred years, so I’m guessing that’s where we got it from :P

I think the biggest difference is the kind of meat used. Traditionally in Greece I think lamb is the meat of choice (with chicken being the alternative). Outside of Greece though they’ll pretty much use any kind of meat, which would make donner and gyro precisely the same thing.

14. Video Gameron 11 Jun 2011 at 7:44 am

This actualy Gyros guys, I am from Greece I eat it all the time its our favorite! Gyros + Tzatziki… The difference from the turkish kebap is that kebap has only cow meat in it, in Greece the most popular is with pork, or chicken meat. I guess in Turkey they dont use pork cause of their religion.

Gyros actually is the greek word for “Round” or “circular” and its called like that cause of the round movement this whole thing does!

Hope you find the info helpfull!

15. Josepon 12 Jun 2011 at 1:29 pm

By the looks of the floor, baloons on the roof and the face of the guy, it is most probably “Pastor Trompo” lamb meat prepared with annatto for tacos.

16. Mecartistronicoon 17 Jun 2011 at 12:08 pm

You’re all kinda right. But I’m gonna go with Tacos al Pastor. The setting is definitely Mexican (no kebab restaurant would be named “La Parrilla”, would it?)

It is very, very similar to kebab indeed.

17. matton 20 Jan 2013 at 2:11 pm

thats definitely mexico!! its TACOS AL PASTOR, best food you’ll ever have

18. houssamicaon 20 Jan 2013 at 2:11 pm

no …this is the real shawarma …we have in syria a lot of places …this is shawarma for sure …the guy is really in the role as iron man asked for shawarma in avengers movie !

19. Joeon 20 Jan 2013 at 3:27 pm

Of all the things to be debated, the internet debates what the guy is making?
    Seriously?

20. Aaronon 20 Jan 2013 at 10:12 pm

It actually is Schawarma, I’ve seen it on “Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives” once, I think it was made of some kind of marinated Chicken and roasted as you carve it, the outside cooks for about 20 minutes or so and shaved off, esposing the less cooked stuff beneath, then that cooks as well.