Feb 17 2011

Six Awesome Unintentionally Funny Action Movies

Published by at 9:00 am under Movies

If there’s one thing I enjoy about being 31 years old it’s the fact that I got to witness first hand the amazing explosion of 80s and early 90s action movies.  Movies that in some cases were so awful that they were incredible.

The unnecessary violence, the steroids, the cheesy lines, and about 600 other things that I hold dear.   Today I want to focus on six films in particular that epitomized cheese and unintentional comedy

Enjoy the picks (as well as trailers for these movies) below……

Stone Cold

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ5Z0v_Hxqc

This low budget action movie stars Brian Bosworth and is among the funniest action movies ever made. The director did nothing right with the film and the scenes meld into each other because they are all equally atrocious and mind-numbing.  Oh yeah, did we mention Brian Bosworth?  Come on.  This is hilarious.  The funny thing about this movie is that there was actually decent acting talent in it.  William Forsythe and Lance Henrickson were in it.

Bloodsport

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CLz2Hh9uqM

I’ve already dedicated an entire article to this movie.  It was in our “Crappy but awesome movie recommendation of the Week” segment.  I mean virtually any movie with Van Damme kind of takes the cake as far as unintentionally funny action movies but I would say that Bloodsport certainly takes the cake.

Commando

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

It’s almost impossible to not include an Arnold movie in this list.  I would have put Running Man in here but I’m pretty sure that movies lines were supposed to be that dumb that they’d be funny.  At least I hope that’s what the writers were going for.  In Commando the one dumb line after another was definitely not intentional thus making this movie even better.

Death Wish 3

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agyuMM09yAE

Pick a Wish, any wish.   This Death Wish definitely deserves the cake.  Why?  The first one is a cult classic and has a great indy feel.  The second one is still kind of an oldish movie and not a horrible follow up to the first.  This one?  This one has so much violence and frankly bullshit that it’s basically a joke.

Delta Force 2:  The Colombian Connection

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkO2o_auRik

You didn’t think we’d forget Chuck Norris now did you?  Why the sequel?  Because the first one wasn’t really that bad of a movie.  But this one?  I mean when you put “The Colombian Connection” in the title you know you’re in for some serious cheese.

Tough and Deadly

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auy7k5c12Mc

I nearly put Showdown in here as my Billy Blanks pick but I’m just not sure it was “actiony” enough.  Tough and Deadly is the story of a CIA agent who loses his memory.  And then he befriends Roddy Piper.  OK, I’m stopping right there.  If you don’t think this movie is going to be pure entertainment and laughter then you are just flat out wrong.

14 Responses to “Six Awesome Unintentionally Funny Action Movies”

1. nicolauzon 17 Feb 2011 at 9:55 am

The Death Wish trilogy was on during Winter break and went from 1 being pretty decent to absolute what the fuck Also: holy shit they made a 4th and 5th ?!?!

2. Niklason 17 Feb 2011 at 10:08 am

I’d like to add American Ninja II

It’ with genetically enhanced super-ninjas, what more could you ask for?

3. J5on 17 Feb 2011 at 11:55 am

Good list, hate to gripe, but no Road House? I only bring it up because it’s easily my favorite bad movie of all time.

“Pain dont hurt.”

4. Steveon 17 Feb 2011 at 12:51 pm

No Stallone or Seagal? For shame. “Cobra” could go on this list easy, as well as “Tango and Cash”. Also, disagree about the corny dialogue for Commando. I think it was just intentional in that film as it was in Running Man, if not more-so. I would’ve put Action Jackson on this list as well. I think it’s a damn shame that Carl Weathers never became an action star in his own right.

I’m 26 years old and unfortunately the only action movie of this era I got to see in theaters was T2. My dad wasn’t gonna be taking his little kid to see R-rated action movies. Though I watched the shit outta them on vhs. Seriously, I’ve watched Terminator, Predator, Total Recall, and the Rocky movies (mostly part 4) at least 1000 times.

It’s a shame they don’t still make movies like this anymore. Nor are there any modern “action heroes”. Statham comes close, but the Transporter movies are pg-13, so they don’t count lol. Hugh Jackman could be a great action star, but he cries in every movie he’s done (I’ve counted). Vin Diesel wants to be taken seriously as an actor, as does Mark Whalberg. The Rock looked like he was heir to the throne when he left the WWF and did The Rundown (With Arnold even passing the torch on film), but then he had to do all those family films. I’d say that Michael Jai White and Scott Adkins MIGHT have a chance, but they do mostly martial arts films, not action films.

5. Roberto H.on 17 Feb 2011 at 1:53 pm

Class of 1999. Same director from Commando.
    Its Terminator + Akira… In high school.
    Words fail me.

6. dante diazon 17 Feb 2011 at 2:19 pm

bloodsport and commando are greats action films!!

7. Jameson 17 Feb 2011 at 2:56 pm

Bloodsports is awesome on so many levels!

8. Surly Canadianon 17 Feb 2011 at 5:33 pm

What about The Dead Pool?

9. jaromiron 17 Feb 2011 at 6:59 pm

have to agree with the aboved mentioned of “Road House”, the movie is so cheese that it’s a great watch…..Oh and Comando was my child hood fave, especially since I always had a crush on Allysa Milano aka Samatha for that era.

10. Diabloon 18 Feb 2011 at 2:03 am

No “Gymkata”? That is insane.

11. MCGon 18 Feb 2011 at 9:37 am

“King of the Kickboxers”. If you’d seen it, it would be on this list.

12. MCGon 18 Feb 2011 at 9:39 am

My friends and I used to laugh at the trailer for Stone Cold. At the end of the trailer it said “Stone Cold” then you’d hear Brian Bosworth say “and then some”. It just made no sense at all. Great stuff.

13. [...] and about 600 other things that I hold dear epitomize the genre.   Today I want to focus on six films in particular that oozed cheese and unintentional comedy. Similar Posts:None Found You can follow any [...]

14. [...] TV This Also Would Have Been A Good Choice – Guyism Really Bad But Awesome Action Movies – Unreality 9 Professional Sports Teams That Should Pack Up and Move – Total Pro Sports Libyan Protesters [...]