Jan 18 2011

In Case You Were Wondering, the X-Men Family Tree

Published by at 3:00 pm under Images,Movies

(click to enlarge)

As much of a geek as I consider myself, this graphic threw me for a bit of a loop as I realized I didn’t know most of what was going on. But I know the kind of audience we have here, and I’m sure there are the die-hard among you who can explain exactly everything going on in this family tree.

I always knew that things were a bit incestuous in the X-Men world, but I didn’t know to what extent. With no names supplied, I have to guess at a few of these, but I get the general hint that all these mutations might be caused by more than just random chance. Mess around in the same gene pool long enough and maybe your kids will end up flying or telekinetic some day. Good news West Virginia!

[via Joe Stone]

16 Responses to “In Case You Were Wondering, the X-Men Family Tree”

1. blckmgkon 18 Jan 2011 at 3:22 pm

I have never really been an avid reader of comics, which I am shamed to admit, as I am curious about who 80% of the representations are. It would be nice to have a chart to show who is who.

2. Jakeon 18 Jan 2011 at 3:31 pm

I’ve always wondered this: Is X-Men in the same universe as, say, Spiderman and such? If so, what are the differences between mutants and other heroes not considered mutants?

3. Stefanoson 18 Jan 2011 at 4:07 pm

Yes X-men are in the same universe as almost every other marvel hero! What distinguishes X-men from a normal superhero is tha fact that mutants have the X gene :P. Yep thats all. Was wondering the same thing and the only thing i have find while reading comics is the x gene! Maybe someone who has read more comics than me is able to explain some other difference

4. FullestJon 18 Jan 2011 at 4:11 pm

The Marvel Universe is broken down into a series of alternate realities, the main Marvel storyline is known as Earth-616. All Marvel characters exist together in that Universe (so yes, X-Men and Spider-Man co-exist). It gets a little unclear in the films because Marvel didn’t (AFAIK still don’t) own the rights to the Spider-Man and X-Men franchises, so they can’t include them in their Avengers story arc.

The simple breakdown of super powered characters in the Marvel Universe is this: Mutants (born with powers that are genetic and unlock at puberty), Super-Humans (people born human but that develop their powers either through accidents or by their own design) and Aliens. Basically, Mutants are born with something called the X-Gene. Instead of being Homo Sapiens they are Homo Superior; so, for all intents and purposes, they are a different species.

5. FullestJon 18 Jan 2011 at 4:25 pm

Oh, and left to right, top to bottom that chart runs like this:

Magneto, Juggernaut, Charles Xavier, ?

Scarlett Witch, Quicksilver, ?, Xorn, ?, Moira MacTaggert, Lilandra, Deathbird, ?

Rogue, ?, ?, Legion, Corsair, ?, Bishop

Forge, Storm, ?, Havok, ?

Colossus, Illyana Rasputin, Cyclops

?, Sinister, Madelyne Pryor, Jean Grey, Emma Frost

?, Stryfe, Cable, X-Man

Archangel, Apocalypse, Domino, ?

Azazel, Mystique, Sabertooth, ?, Wolverine, Deadpool

Nightcrawler, ?, ?, X-23, Daken

A little bit of Googling will quickly fill in those blanks.

6. FullestJon 18 Jan 2011 at 4:37 pm

Hmm… a big problem with this is that whoever made it convolutes a few different realities together. He seems to have introduced characters from other realities who have entered the main Earth-616 world, but then maintained the relationships as if they were linked to the Earth-616 characters, instead of those in their own realities.

So the last two lines would be:

Azazel, Mystique, Sabertooth, Dark Beast, Wolverine, Deadpool

Nightcrawler, ?, Beast, X-23, Daken

Oh, and earlier on:

Forge, Storm, Callisto, Havok, ?

7. hbcupride.deco-printing.comon 18 Jan 2011 at 4:38 pm

The big question is why don’t most mutants just claim they inherited or got their powers through science to avoid persecution? Well at least for a little while. In most future storylines, the Sentinels kill all superpowered beings.

8. FullestJon 18 Jan 2011 at 4:42 pm

A genetic test settles the issue, and on top of that Xavier’s Cerebro technology (which quite a few people have a hold of now, including anti-mutant terrorist organisations) can identify and locate every living person with the Mutant Gene. It’s kind of hard to deceive people.

9. FullestJon 18 Jan 2011 at 4:45 pm

Oh,
    Line 1: Magneto, Juggernaut, Charles Xavier, Cassandra Nova

10. hbcupride.deco-printing.comon 18 Jan 2011 at 4:51 pm

Who’s the third Summers?

11. FullestJon 18 Jan 2011 at 4:56 pm

I resorted to looking up the rest, he’s Vulcan.

There’s an answer grid here: http://cimmorene.typepad.com/blog/2011/01/the-x-men-family-tree-explained.html

Though I think he’s wrong about Lee Forrester. It’s almost certainly Emma Frost. Forrester is a minor character, Frost has been a major character for years that Summers is currently dating (and has been for some time).

12. Skeeboon 18 Jan 2011 at 5:03 pm

Quick google, the other Summers brother is Gabriel, aka Vulcan.

13. Billon 19 Jan 2011 at 2:28 pm

This is as far as I got

Magneto, Juggernaut, Charles Xavier, Cassandra Nova

Scarlett Witch, Quicksilver, Polaris, Xorn, Gabrielle Haller, Moira MacTaggert, Lilandra, Deathbird, D’ken

Rogue, Gambit, Iceman, Legion, Corsair, ?, Bishop

Forge, Storm, Callisto, Havok, Vulcan

Colossus, Illyana Rasputin, Cyclops

Kitty Pryde, Sinister, Madelyne Pryor, Jean Grey, Emma Frost

?, Stryfe, Cable, X-Man

Archangel, Apocalypse, Domino, Rachel Summers

Azazel, Mystique, Sabertooth, Dark Beast, Wolverine, Deadpool

Nightcrawler, Graydon Creed, Beast, X-23, Daken

14. Steveon 19 Jan 2011 at 2:56 pm

I’m assuming that the ? to the left of Cable is Ms. Sinister.

15. razorsfuryon 19 Jan 2011 at 8:25 pm

to bad you dont know how to use labels…

16. Kevinon 20 Jan 2011 at 1:15 am