Jan 12 2011

Why I Stopped Watching X-Files

Published by at 1:00 pm under Images

I’ve mentioned previously that I tried to get into X-Files, but I couldn’t based the surprisingly repetitive procedural formula of it. If you weren’t sure exactly what I meant, now there’s this handy comic to illustrate my point to perfection.

Maybe this changes in later seasons, but for the first 6-8 episodes I watched, this is exactly how it all went down. Something weird happens, Scully thinks its science, Mulder thinks its supernatural, Mulder is right. No proof. THE END.

Maybe I’ll try the show again someday, but right now the prospect of watching hundreds of hours of anything is frankly exhausting.

12 Responses to “Why I Stopped Watching X-Files”

1. Calebon 12 Jan 2011 at 1:02 pm

I watch it for the story arc involving the colonization of earth by aliens. That’s really the only GOOD reason to watch it.

2. Nonpopuliston 12 Jan 2011 at 1:35 pm

Aaaww, that hurts, but it’s true. X-Files is still my favorite show ever.

3. ashon 12 Jan 2011 at 1:38 pm

That first paragraph hurt my brain.

4. Filosoraptoron 12 Jan 2011 at 1:38 pm

You should get into Fringe again Paul. I agree that the first season feels like a supernatural procedural show, but since season 2 it has just gotten better. I watched the entire second season in like a week or so and I’m currently hooked on season 3.

You should give it a shot Paul!

5. Guy Incognitoon 12 Jan 2011 at 2:03 pm

The show eventually settles into a rythym of alternating between the “monster-of-the-week” episodes and the larger story arc of the alien conspiracy episodes. Many of the standalone episodes are actually really good later on and provide the most enjoyable moments of the show.

6. RotatingPandaon 12 Jan 2011 at 2:30 pm

My brother got me into the series “Supernatural” and although I enjoy the characters and their dynamic, after a few seasons, I wrote this. It’s nice to know there was another show similar.

SUPERNATURAL: THE SERIES

01. PEOPLE WE HAVE NEVER SEEN BEFORE are doing something mundane and die horribly.

02. WINCHESTER’S hear of above supernatural happening in SMALL TOWN, America.

03. SAM/DEAN is hesitant/doubtful of SAM/DEAN’s suspicion.

04. WINCHESTER’S pose as cops/feds/relatives, frequently using the names of members of famous ’70s and ’80s rock or metal bands as alias’.

05. While investigating, DEAN makes SAM do a lot of the dirty work.

06. Evidence crops up. SAM/DEAN, who -was- doubtful, now believes the supernatural is afoot. They discover is was [Creature of the week].

07. Research [Creature of the week], allowing characters to discover weakness and viewers to hear exposition on folklore/mythology regarding [Creature of the week]. Usually involves SALT/SILVER/EXORCISM/SALTING AND BURNING CORPSE. Plan A will not work. Plan B always will.

08. SAM/DEAN is attacked and kidnapped by [Creature of the week], sometimes with fellow victims.

09. SAM/DEAN saves SAM/DEAN from [Creature of the week] at last minute.

10. [Creature of the week] isn’t quite dead and gains advantage over SAM and DEAN.

11. In the end, SAM and DEAN prevail over [Creature of the week]. If permissable, have SAM and DEAN saved by RUBY/BOBBY.

7. steveon 12 Jan 2011 at 3:55 pm

you couldn’t be more wrong about the x files. its awesome! maybe if you watched more than 6 episodes you might open your mind and believe! ( thats an x files joke something ONE day you might understand )

8. romudason 12 Jan 2011 at 4:11 pm

I think you are just seeing it on the wrong decade, man. Give it a break. The X-files are AWESOME when you were a 12 year old boy (1994, 1st season premiere here in Portugal), and there were no Fringe or Supernatural or any other like them. With time, just as Scully’s outfit and hairdo, the show gets better and better. I’ve seen season 1 again a few months ago and I have to agree with you, but my love for that show let me keep going and going. Trust me… Put your 14 year old eyes on the first season and gradually take them off… You’re gonna love it!

9. Rob Jon 12 Jan 2011 at 8:13 pm

It also rather creepy that the biggest conspiracy in the x-files was that somehow Scully seemed to age in reverse and giot better looking as the series went on…I could never figure that one out.

10. Dresteron 13 Jan 2011 at 10:22 am

@Rob: So true

11. nonW00ton 15 Jan 2011 at 7:55 pm

Millennium was the better show.

12. Aaronon 18 Jan 2011 at 9:35 pm

@RotatingPanda

So, what you are saying is: Supernatural is Buffy, but they aren’t stuck in Sunnyvale?