Sep 24 2010

Luke Skywalker, Jedi Mechanic

Published by at 11:00 am under Images,Movies

This is a rather awesome piece of fan art I thought I’d share with you guys. It features Luke Skywalker building his green lightsaber, something we never really saw in the movies, yet it showed up and started kicking ass quite quickly in Return of the Jedi.

I supposed using the Force is more efficient to assemble your lightsaber, but I have to wonder, does he have force powers with his robotic hand? I mean, I understand it’s all the mind, but then why use hands at all? Could you Force push without shoving your hand out in front of you?  Would it work with the robot hand?

The artist is Frank Stockton, as it turns out. Apologies for not knowing that off the top of my f*cking head.

11 Responses to “Luke Skywalker, Jedi Mechanic”

1. L4NkYbon 24 Sep 2010 at 11:23 am

I think the hand motions are just supposed to be a means of focusing. For (a ridiculous theoretical) example, it’s much easier to push that rock with your mind if you actually make the motion to push with your hands. Plus it looks better on camera.

And my guess (just a guess) is Frank Stratford.

2. HalifaxScotton 24 Sep 2010 at 11:50 am

There are some pretty good forum discussions on the subject. I believe that the general consensus is that arms are not strictly necessary for force manipulation, but rather act as a guide for the mind.

There was a pretty lively discussion on Wookieepedia for a while, this is the pruned down version: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Can_Darth_Vader_use_force_lightning

3. Joshon 24 Sep 2010 at 12:00 pm

Neo uses the Force (let’s admit it, people. Neo was the greatest Jedi to ever live) to stop the bullets in the first film and doesn’t use his hands. That count for anything?

Anyway, I always saw the use of one’s arms as a reverse lightning rod of sorts. It’s the path your guide your concentrated force out of. If you’ve played Force Unleashed or seen the trailers for Force Unleashed II, you’d see that they make Force Push very visible and it comes as a spiral down Starkiller’s arm and out of his fingertips.

4. Madisonon 24 Sep 2010 at 12:02 pm

Pretty sure Neo uses his hand in both the first and second Matrix movies to stop bullets, actually.

It’s got to be a focus thing.

5. Chozoon 24 Sep 2010 at 1:21 pm

I agree with L4NkYb.
    And I refer to the novel “Eragon” where is explained that you can always use magic/force with your mind but when you are distracted it might gets out of control so its better to use a spell.
    A example: Inflaming your stove with your mind can set the whole house on fire but saying “fire there in the stove” is much easier.

6. David Deanon 24 Sep 2010 at 3:39 pm

Metal hand = cybernetic antenna

Uhm, yeah… that’s it.

7. Lesteron 24 Sep 2010 at 4:32 pm

I’ll let the clip do all the talking, while it’s not exactly the same….

8. Andrewon 24 Sep 2010 at 6:33 pm

The name of the artist is Frank Stockton

9. Lenon 26 Sep 2010 at 9:46 pm

This illustration was for Topps’ Star Wars Galaxy Series 5 trading cards. And yes, it is by Frank Stockton.

10. BLACKon 27 Sep 2010 at 2:39 am

Seriously, the author couldn’t have done 2 minutes of research after finding this fan-art? This and recent other shit posts from this once good website are the reason I’m leaving and going elsewhere for my internet lists. Peace out unreality.com, you used to be funny.

11. TaichoMorganon 08 Mar 2013 at 4:11 pm

Darth Vader has metal hands and he can use the force as shown in the first Star Wars movie: where he force chokes that Imperial Officer. So it stands to reason that Luke could use the force in a similar way to construct his light-saber.