Aug 11 2010

5 Notably Funny Comedians Whose Movies Aren’t Funny Anymore

Published by at 9:00 am under Editorials,Movies

Murphy

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about this subject lately and I’m  gonna go ahead and say that from all the trends I’ve seen it would appear that a superstar comedy career really only lasts about 10 years, even less.  I argue that the truly funny movies all took place in a 5-10 year period and after that the movies got less and less funny.

When you think about it, it’s really tough to keep up the humor.  I think a number of factors come into play.  One.  Age.  These guys get older and just don’t care anymore.  Two.  Money.  When you’re making $20 Million a movie sometimes you sell out a little bit whether or not the script is good.  And Three.  Parenthood.  Becoming a father changes a man.

Here are five funny guys who used to have amazing comedies and now I can’t even remember the last time they made a funny movie….

Eddie Murphy

48 Hours

His last funny movie was The Distinguished Gentleman back in 1992.  If any of you think that Metro was funny then please stop reading this article.  Remember how amazing Murphy was back in the 80s?  I mean come on.  48 HoursBeverly Hills Cop?  When you thought “funny” it didn’t get much better than Eddie Murphy.  Now it’s all child movies and crap humor.  I mean I guess The Nutty Professor was OK but come on.  That’s got nothing on his 80s stuff.

Jim Carrey

Dumb and Dumber

I think his last legitimately funny movie was Liar Liar which was in 1997.  Some might argue that Bruce Almighty was good but personally I thought the movie was too commercial.  And then there’s Yes Man which is a feel good movie but by no means the kind of humor this guy produced in the mid 90s.  When you talk about Ace Ventura and Dumb and Dumber you’re talking two of the funniest movies I’ve ever seen.  Hell even the sequel to Ace Ventura was awesome.   I guess 20 million a picture will make you do stuff.  Plus he’s getting older now and probably doesn’t care.

Adam Sandler

Madison

I just don’t think Sandler cares at all anymore.  He had his time.  It’s evident he’s a family man now and probably has no interest in ever making a Billy Madison or Happy Gilmore type movie ever again.  He knows he can make a $40-50 million film and gross over 100 off of it without even blinking.   But man his early 90s stuff…those were the days.   Wedding Singer was great.  Even Big Daddy was funny.   But then Little Nicky came along and I think it was all downhill.  He happens to be a good actor actor so maybe that has something to do with it.

Chevy Chase

Caddyshack

You gotta go pretty far back to remember the last time Chase was funny in a movie.  If you really want to stretch it one can argue that Nothing But Trouble (1991) was decent but I think the last funny one was Christmas Vacation (1989) which I loved.  It’s like a switch went off and he just stopped.  I think Community sucks and his cameos are brutal.

David Spade

Spade

Is it the super long hair that did it?  I’m trying to figure out when it all went bust for Spade.  It’s not that he was a big time movie star like these other guys but Spade was really funny at one point.   From ’93-’96 he had some great roles in PCU, Tommy Boy,  and Coneheads.  I think as soon as he got on TV again his movies just began to suck ass.

42 Responses to “5 Notably Funny Comedians Whose Movies Aren’t Funny Anymore”

1. Cherylon 11 Aug 2010 at 9:30 am

I vote for Will Smith, that kid was hilarious on Fresh Prince of Bel-Air but I haven’t found any of his past few movies funny at all…

2. Parker Jammsteinon 11 Aug 2010 at 9:32 am

You dislike Community? I agree that while Chase isn’t at his best in it, the other characters (McHale and Glover’s in particular) bolster the show and make it decent. The paintball episode is baller. AND BETTY WHITE’S GONNA BE IN IT!!!

I thought the Number 23 was pretty hilarious… albeit unintentionally.

3. KnowItAllon 11 Aug 2010 at 9:45 am

Ooh, Community is hilarious. And while Chevy is easily outshone by Abed and Troy, he’s still a great character. Also I only think of David Spade as a TV actor. Yes, Tommy Boy was great, but I think of SNL and Just Shoot Me first.

I was really surprised to see Steve Martin and Robin Williams missing from this list.

4. Nattybon 11 Aug 2010 at 9:45 am

I do like McHale but I’m just not big on sitcoms these days. I miss Seinfeld and Cheers. Shows like that.

5. Matton 11 Aug 2010 at 9:51 am

Really surprised to hear that you think “Community” sucks. Most Entertainment writers and critics enjoy the show, even if the viewing public hasn’t fully embraced it yet.

Granted, Chevy Chase is the least funny member of the cast. But I’m surprised to hear you think the show itself sucks.

Still, for my money, American TV in the past 3 years hasn’t seen episodes as well done as “Modern Warfare” and “Contemporary American Poultry.”

Care to elaborate on your opinion?

6. Matton 11 Aug 2010 at 9:51 am

Oops, looks like I was a bit late on the Community question, haha.

Disregard.

7. Madisonon 11 Aug 2010 at 10:44 am

I thought Sandler was pretty funny in Funny People, actually.

8. Kevinon 11 Aug 2010 at 10:46 am

Bowfinger was great.

9. Guy Incognitoon 11 Aug 2010 at 10:56 am

@Cheryl: That’s because he doesn’t make comedies.

10. chrystanion 11 Aug 2010 at 11:00 am

Sandler was a dry funny in Funny People… Like hey guys I know Im old and this is what you get.

Not a crackin’ the hell up every minute for some random funny shit funny.

Now, Eddie Murphy. Coming to America.
    Best. Comedy. EVER!

11. Lukeon 11 Aug 2010 at 11:15 am

I don’t think you can talk about David Spade comedies without at least mentioning Joe Dirt…

12. Korkyon 11 Aug 2010 at 11:23 am

You seriously think Adam Sandler was ever funny? DISQUALIFIED!

13. kerimcanon 11 Aug 2010 at 11:36 am

I never liked David Spade. Bowfinger was a really good late-90′s comedy by Eddie Murphy. Community rules and Chevy Chase is good in it.

14. [...] 3. Comedians that aren’t funny anymore. [Unreality] [...]

15. Jansonon 11 Aug 2010 at 12:12 pm

Robin Williams should be up there too. He got too serious and family oriented. Adam Sandler is just following in his footsteps.

16. Billdogon 11 Aug 2010 at 12:52 pm

I would add Mike Myers, I’m totally Shreked out!

17. Henrikon 11 Aug 2010 at 1:14 pm

Eddie Murphy’s last funny movie was Bowfinger from 1999. That movie is hilarious. Also where is Mike Myers, Steve Martin and Will Ferrell?

18. Jboon 11 Aug 2010 at 2:15 pm

Yeah, you’re a turd for thinking Community isn’t funny. With crap like Modern Family getting praised, it’s offensive.

19. Lagrangeon 11 Aug 2010 at 3:07 pm

Well however you stand to community, you have to watch the paintball episode.

I was amazed!

20. Lagrangeon 11 Aug 2010 at 3:09 pm

“Season 1, Episode 23: Modern Warfare”

21. Davidon 11 Aug 2010 at 3:39 pm

You’re totally wrong about David Spade. He was never funny.

22. HarveyStewarton 11 Aug 2010 at 4:40 pm

Eddie Murphy’s last funny movie was Bowfinger, Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler are far better in dramatic roles anyway, and David Spade was never funny. Chevy Chase is before my time. In conclusion, I disagree.

23. Lynnieon 11 Aug 2010 at 4:52 pm

I think its also a matter of people’s taste in comedy fluctuating.

24. Matt Chion 11 Aug 2010 at 6:52 pm

I’ll agree with your general assessment. But despite these actors losing their sheer hilarity in older movies, I can find several counter examples that you failed to mention of recent roles for these actors. Many of the counter examples have been listed above already.

Saying community sucks basically discredited your oppinon, on all of this, for a lot of people.

25. Ellieon 11 Aug 2010 at 7:01 pm

It depends on what episode you watched. I think you just watched one of their “meh” episodes. As everyone has already said, “Modern Warfare” is the one of the best episodes of television I’ve ever seen.

26. Al Mann-Dudeon 11 Aug 2010 at 10:49 pm

Disqualified on the grounds of “Nothing But Trouble was decent”. There aren’t enough drugs in the world to make that movie anything more than a putrid pile of puppy poop. The rest of the article was a haze of zeros and ones.

27. Gregson 11 Aug 2010 at 11:11 pm

ace ventura needs a sequel. maybe he can go against BP, hell yeah

28. OTWarrioron 12 Aug 2010 at 2:47 am

Adam Sandler fairly recently did “Zohan” which I thought was hilarious. how has that been missed?

29. Spenceron 12 Aug 2010 at 8:39 am

Look at Careys performance in A Series of unfortunate Events. Even in a kids film the guy managed to get his rubberface on, and could easily match his older stuff

30. Con 12 Aug 2010 at 10:11 am

Sorry OTWarrior Zohan was bad, epically bad. Mike Myers does need to be on this list. Love Guru? Cat in the Hat? I’m also on hte Community is an awesome show bandwagon. The pool show, when McHale went full Monty, are you kidding me, I almost passed out.

31. Solon 12 Aug 2010 at 10:30 am

Jim Carrey was pretty funny in I Love You Phillip Morris

32. MetFanMacon 12 Aug 2010 at 3:46 pm

I actually remembered an article from 4 years ago after reading this:

33. Danon 12 Aug 2010 at 4:29 pm

David Spade stopped being funny the minute Chris Farley died.

34. Bryanon 12 Aug 2010 at 7:41 pm

This wasn’t a problem in the past when new comedians took over the older comedians place as the funny man/woman. Now we have George Lopez, Ray Romano, whoever else is on a sitcom. (Charlie Sheen still have a show?)

Don’t know why, but the days of Murphy, Belushi, Akroyd, etc. are gone. Really, who’s funny anymore?

35. Aaron Movie manon 13 Aug 2010 at 1:57 am

“The other guys” is totally hilarious, I couldn’t watch any 15 seconds of that movie without laughing.

Community sucks. The Office sucks. The Simpsons suck. Game shows suck.

Grandma’s boy was adam sandlers best movie and he wasn’t even in it.

There needs to be more hot nerdy assertive girls in movies. There are very few indeed.

36. [...] Check out 5 comedic actors whose movies suck now. [UnrealityMag] [...]

37. [...] Unreality – Funny Guys That Aren't Funny in Movies Anymore | [...]

38. Stacyon 17 Aug 2010 at 8:20 pm

I stopped reading & caring about your opinions when you said Community sucks.

39. Nattybon 17 Aug 2010 at 8:32 pm

Thanks for playing.

40. [...] are your views on the movie Grown Ups and the performance of Adam Sandler and his cast? Please leave a comment and take part in our [...]

41. Chanandleron 31 Aug 2010 at 2:34 pm

I already started to ignore almost everything you say when I saw that you like Lady Gogó (Gaga for you), one of the most ridiculous singers out there, but now you say Community sucks? One of the few humor shows that’s worth to watch lately? Dude, you’re mental. Ray Romano should be here, he was half decent in Everybody Loves Raymond (which was an mediocre show in my opinion) and is even worse in Men of a certain age. Community rocks, it’s one of the most inspired shows airing right now, with great acting, even Chevy Chase is alright. Go watch Lady Gaga clips and leave good shows alone.

42. [...] 5 Notably Funny Comedic Actors who Aren’t Funny Anymore [...]