May 24 2010

The Glory Days of Rapture

Published by at 7:30 pm under Images,Video Games

the-glory-days-of-rapture.jpg

(click to enlarge)

Want a super awesome, hand-drawn video game wallpaper? Well, look no further than this picture which features the underwater city of Rapture from Bioshock in its heyday, before it was taken over by genetically demented lunatic trying to kill you and feed on your DNA.

It’s expertly drawn, but I think a whale passing by might have given more of a sense of this being underwater rather just NYC or somewhere similar at night. If anyone has artist info, please let me know.

7 Responses to “The Glory Days of Rapture”

1. Banditon 24 May 2010 at 8:10 pm

Me likey.

2. Banditon 24 May 2010 at 8:11 pm

Agree on the large whale need. Or perhaps just a octopus.

3. Velovanon 24 May 2010 at 11:17 pm

I’ve been in need of a new desktop for a while now. Thanks for the post!

4. Inviktuson 25 May 2010 at 12:21 am

Best. Wallpaper. Ever.

5. The Glory Days of Rapture | Joy and Funon 25 May 2010 at 3:50 am

[...] the original post: The Glory Days of Rapture Share and [...]

6. Nickon 25 May 2010 at 12:40 pm

I actually have this picture as one of my backgrounds. I think this was a submission for some sort of promotion at the Cult of Rapture website. They had an entry from J. Vasquez, the Johnny the Homicidal Maniac and Invader Zim guy, Gabe from Penny Arcade, and this one, who I believe is Craig Mullins, who does concept art for movies and video games.

Hold on, just found the link: http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/article/craigmullins

Mullins’ official site is at http://www.goodbrush.com/

Back in the day he was contracted by Bungie to do concept art for Marathon. He’s been doing stuff for them ever since.

7. C.J.on 15 Dec 2011 at 11:56 am

Look closely in the upper right hand portion of the painting, there is a large shark swimming by. Also there are some schools of fish visible. Great painting.