May 03 2010

Behold, the Sega Tower of Power

Published by at 6:00 pm under Images,Video Games

sega-tower-of-power.jpg

Wow.

So many people, myself included, have been known to rip Nintendo mercilessly for their constant use of expensive add-ons to their systems like nunchucks and balance boards and splitting every Pokemon game in half, but this picture reminded me that ain’t nothin’ compared to the good old days of Genesis, as seen by this mammoth monstrosity above.

I can’t quite name everything I see in this picture, so if someone wants us to give a piece by piece rundown feel free. The worst part about all this? If the game won’t play, you have to spend the next half an hour blowing on everything and anything in order to find the right piece of dust to dislodge.

10 Responses to “Behold, the Sega Tower of Power”

1. Galahadon 03 May 2010 at 6:18 pm

It’s all pretty nonfunctional.
    You’ve got a Sega 32X plugged into the base console (as it should be) but then the Master System adapter plugged into that (which may or may not be a functional combination), then a cleaning cartredge plugged into the master system adapter (which is just a piece of plastic with scrubby bits on the ends), so that completely breaks any functionality it may have had. Then a Game Geneie, two copies of Sonic and Knuckles (no reason) and then Sonic 3. Also, a Sega CD to the side.

About the biggest functional stack you could have would be Console + Sega CD + 32x, +Game Genie + Sonic & Knuckles, + another cart.

Or maybe if the 32x supports the master system adapter you could have Console + CD + 32x + Master System Adapter + Master System cart. (I don’t think there was a master system game genie)

What’s fuun is you could plug all that shit into a Nomad as well, which was a HANDHELD

2. illeaturfamilyon 03 May 2010 at 6:30 pm

holy sweet jesus i thought i was the only kid who ever owned a 32x.

i used to hate those stupid metal prongs that would never go in right. i bent mine to hell and threw them out.

damn you virtua racing! why can’t you fit in this slot!?

3. J5on 03 May 2010 at 7:00 pm

As a Sega-Kid, it finally makes sense why I actually pay for the nickel & dime crap I get from Microsoft.

Childhood mystery: Solved.

4. Hugo Fitzpatrickon 03 May 2010 at 7:44 pm

*Sega Megadrive! Ah my youth…

5. Ashweeeon 04 May 2010 at 4:38 am

ahahahaha, go to cinemassacre.com and look through the Angry Video Game Nerd Videos, he has a few different ones dedicated to the Genesis’s add ons.

6. Skrolnikon 04 May 2010 at 4:51 pm

Needs moar X-Band Modem.

7. Sega Tower of Power - Chuggin Monkeyson 04 May 2010 at 6:46 pm

[...] it…growing up I was in the Sega camp. I think I could recreate this tower with my childhood. Via Unreality   FB.init(“254b767adafbab7d4ea9e3e7d53951c4″, [...]

8. Marmoseton 17 Feb 2011 at 5:44 am

I’ve been attempting to build my Great Tower of Sega, the construct Sega built with which they planned to touch the face of God, which was eventually dashed to the ground, leaving Sega’s many employees to eventually spread across the earth, each speaking a different language as they programmed Sonic ports to different consoles.

The plan is a Gen. 1 Sega CD, Gen. 1 Genesis, Power Base Converter, 32X, X-Band, Game Genie, Sonic & Knuckles, and Sega Channel. Currently, I’m only missing the Sonic & Knuckles and the Sega Channel, so if anyone wants to share theirs, let me know!

9. Dereon 20 Jun 2011 at 7:44 pm

…The ONLY parts of that tower that are add-ons are the Mega-CD and the 32X.

10. midnightsmokeon 30 Mar 2013 at 12:33 pm

maybe the point of this kids pic was just to display all the shit he has, idk if anyone who bought all that is dumb enough to think it would work like that, so i say my theory makes sense