Mar 30 2010

The Six Best Ed Norton Movie Roles

Published by at 1:00 pm under Movies

Ed Norton

When thinking about Edward Norton I wanted to be clear in explaining who I think he is as a dominant figure in Hollywood.  But the folks at Filmreference put it best.

Edward Norton is that extreme rarity among modern actors: someone whoactually seems more interested in becoming an actor than becoming a star—though he seems destined for both. Having received two Academy Award nominations in his first six film roles, Norton has reason to believe that stardom can actually detract from an actor’s ability to act, since the more the audience knows about an actor, the harder it is for them to suspend their disbelief.

While Norton is erring on the side of blockbusters lately he’s still the man.  Every actor does films for money so I can’t blame Norton for doing The Incredible Hulk and now The Avengers.  The bottom line is that he’s a phenomenal actor who ranks up there with the DiCaprio’s of the world.

And in his honor I decided to come up with his six best movie roles

Aaron in Primal Fear

Ed Norton

There was a rumor going around Hollywood (which is apparently true) that Norton completely fooled everyone in his screen test.  Over 2,000 actors tried out for the part, and while some were fine at playing one side of the character, no one could play both sides. Director Gregory Hoblit felt the role to be so crucial he was ready to abandon the film if a suitable replacement could not be found (it was originally Leonardo DiCaprio).  Finally Norton submitted a screen test that was so impressive, it circulated around town and secured him his next two roles (Everyone Says I love you and The People Vs. Larry Flynt)

Eisenheim in The Illusionist

Illusionist

While this is probably his least cool performance of the six you have to admit his portrayal as Eisenheim is pretty awesome.  Norton doesn’t really use an accent all that often and for American actors it’s pretty risky.   However, as usual, Norton nailed his role.  Personally I liked The Prestige way better than this movie but Norton can certainly carry a film when he needs to.

Derek Vinyard in American History X

Norton

Arguably his best performance, Norton plays a conflicted youth Nazi named Derek Vinyard.  You can truly see how sick and brainwashed he is in the first half of the film.  First of all, Norton seriously jacked himself up for this role.  Second, why the hell didn’t he win the Oscar for this?  I still don’t understand this.

Monty Brogan in 25th Hour

Ed Norton

This is one of the few Spike Lee movies that’s extremely cool and has minimal “messages” with the exception of that one scene in the bathroom.  Norton plays a badass drug dealer who is in his last day before going to jail for the next seven years.  It all comes crumbling down for him towards the end and you can really empathize with his character.  Classic Norton awesomeness.

Narrator in Fight Club

Ed Norton

Brad Pitt probably stole the show in this one but let’s give some credit to Norton here.  He had to contend with Pitt’s good looks and chiseled chest.  Not easy to do but we certainly don’t forget about Norton in this film so kudos to Ed for that.  Nicely done!

Lester “Worm” Murphy in Rounders

Norton

“Geev dees man hees mahny.”  Clearly John Malkovich is the memorable line guy from this movie but let’s not count out Ed Norton’s sleaze.  He was pretty damned good at playing an ex con loser gambler.

Bonus

Izzy

*Let’s not forget Izzy LaFontaine in Modern Family – I know it’s TV but he was incredible in this.  Excellent British accent too.

22 Responses to “The Six Best Ed Norton Movie Roles”

1. Fabio Carvalhoon 30 Mar 2010 at 1:54 pm

I’d also mention Norton’s role in Keeping the faith. His way of portraying the personal conflict his character goes through as a priest who falls in love with a stunningly beautiful woman is something to be reminded in the galery of his best performances.
    Cheers.

2. Nattybon 30 Mar 2010 at 2:05 pm

He was definitely good in Keeping the Faith (and directed the movie) I just don’t think it compares to these roles.

3. Fabio Carvalhoon 30 Mar 2010 at 2:14 pm

Oh, sure. I agree. It was just a reminder. American History X is awesome, indeed. Great post. Congrats.

4. Daveon 30 Mar 2010 at 2:50 pm

Gotta love Norton in fight club, I actually thought he stole the show from Pitt. The scene in his boss’s office where he beats the crap out of himself is great!

5. J5on 30 Mar 2010 at 3:52 pm

As soon as I saw the title I started thinking of which roles that could be considered his best and you got every one of ‘em.

Nice list.

6. FrankenPCon 30 Mar 2010 at 4:02 pm

I thought the two polar roles in Fight Club were WHY that movie was so stellar. They perfectly balanced each other. If they hadn’t the ending would never have flown.

7. Jizzy mcgggeeon 30 Mar 2010 at 5:54 pm

Kingdom of heaven. Norton owned that movie as the king. extended but tho.

8. ChristianHon 30 Mar 2010 at 6:02 pm

Stella, episode one, as himself. Emmy worthy.

9. the antoineon 30 Mar 2010 at 6:18 pm

i liked him in the score

10. theButterFlyon 30 Mar 2010 at 6:46 pm

Nattyb you are so right. Why didn’t he win for American History X? One of my favourite movies, and such a great performance. I also have to echo the calls for Keeping the Faith. I think that is a very under appreciated and funny film.

11. xtheenderxon 30 Mar 2010 at 6:56 pm

Great post! It’s hard to imagine that this talented actor still occasionally rides the subways! Definitely a humbled person too.

(I feel a man-crush coming on)

12. MacGyver1138on 30 Mar 2010 at 8:12 pm

Excellent choices. I loved him in all of these roles. Looking at IMDB, I’m actually surprised at how few movies he’s done. I guess it just seems like more when you’ve seen most of them.

13. losttyon 30 Mar 2010 at 9:15 pm

Eww Ed Norton. That’s all I have to say.

14. Joshon 30 Mar 2010 at 9:52 pm

No Kingdom of Heaven? That’s a shocker since it’s one of the biggest Oscar snubs in recent memory.

15. [...] Hulk and now The Avengers.  The bottom line is that he’s a phenomenal actor and here are his six best movie roles. 0AKPC_IDS += “34759,”;Popularity: unranked [?] Similar Posts:None Found You can follow any [...]

16. Patrickon 01 Apr 2010 at 3:55 pm

“Death to Smoochy” is a great movie, too.

17. Jewlzon 06 Apr 2010 at 12:09 pm

I’m glad someone mentioned Death To Smoochy, otherwise i would have felt a little silly saying it. I thought his performance in it was wonderful, also really different to anything else I’ve seen him in.

18. dodgynzon 07 Apr 2010 at 2:42 am

What about his role in The Score alongside Robert de Niro? His role as Jack Teller, the doublecrossing thief, was outstanding.

19. eber harton 28 Apr 2010 at 4:41 am

Far as we can tell, the long rich Norton is keeping TOTAL SUCK-UP SILENCE in the faceof gargantuan revelations of ‘peacetime’
    genocide in HOllywood’s ‘fave’ mass market franchise slum
    –ACROSS the Pacific (70 million exterminated in ‘peacetime’
    decades AFTER WWII unoutted, unmentioned, unanswered for -FACT-).

ESP. nauseating as people continue to suffer and die in–the–millions -on this, the once again ‘mysteriously overlooked’
    60th Anniversary of the staggeringly relevant, STILL unfolding
    —KOREAN WAR.

NOT LOOKIN’ GOOD ED
    —-NOT LOOKIN’ GOOD!

-Amen-

PS –and if you’re deleting this message you’re censoring
    STONE COLD TRUTH…

20. Jadeon 16 Jul 2010 at 2:21 am

And he is actually pretty hot in Fight Club

21. ZWHA?on 15 Sep 2010 at 3:14 pm

Nobody mentions Verbal Kent? Nobody was totally blown away by The Usual Suspects. I’m a little shocked, honestly.

22. Rayon 14 May 2011 at 8:14 am

no one ever mentioned The Painted Veil but he was awesome in that.