Mar 11 2010

The Academy Awards in One Picture

Published by at 4:30 pm under Images

Academy Awards

I stumbled across this picture in some photo dump gallery that featured a bunch of random stuff and I thought it was a perfect “one way” representation of the Oscars.

While we may forget about this year’s awards within weeks, this picture will remain funny to me for a long while.  I happen to be in the “Avatar wasn’t as great as everyone thought” camp.  I also happen to have loved The Hurt Locker so I enjoy this pic thoroughly.

Plus Kathryn Bigelow looked incredibly hot that night (she’s almost 60!) so it was nice to see her up there instead of Cameron more than once.

17 Responses to “The Academy Awards in One Picture”

1. RobGon 12 Mar 2010 at 12:15 am

This is awesome. I’m in the same boat as you, loved hurt locker and enjoyed avatar but it wasn’t amazing. That said though, I was hoping moon or district 9 would get more awards. Wait, ANY awards.

2. Weekly Weird News 03-12-2010 - Weird Wormon 12 Mar 2010 at 12:07 pm

[...] UnrealityMag: Funny Cartoon about the Academy Awards [...]

3. xXburekXxon 12 Mar 2010 at 3:00 pm

i didnt like avatar, i liked the ending fight cause it was epic but i could have gone without the rest of the movie

4. [...] The Academy Awards in One Picture I stumbled across this picture in some photo dump gallery that featured a bunch of random stuff [...]

5. = « The Progressive Internal Critiqueon 13 Mar 2010 at 2:32 am

[...] Awesome [...]

6. Eric Christensenon 13 Mar 2010 at 6:16 am

I agree with you! Thanks for sharing.

7. Hamranhansenhansenon 13 Mar 2010 at 10:19 am

Hurt Locker is great, but Avatar is an all-time great, a once-in-a-lifetime movie. The first 21st century movie. Many people seem to have been distracted by the effects and digital makeup in Avatar and didn’t notice the story. The Hurt Locker explains what it’s like to be a soldier in the Iraq War, but Avatar explains the Iraq War.

As great as The Hurt Locker is, for the next 100 years it’s going to be the answer to the trivia question of what film beat Avatar for Best Picture in a classic Academy mistake.

8. Splash Padon 13 Mar 2010 at 11:41 am

I believe some dude above me really just used Avatar as an comparison to the Iraq war. Wow your a nerd

9. Millertime44on 13 Mar 2010 at 12:03 pm

LOL @ Hamranhansenhansen….didn’t notice Avatar’s story!!! That’s a classic joke. It was a joke right? Seriously…they didn’t notice Avatar’s story…because it didn’t have one!
    Avatar is one of the worst movies I have ever seen…boring, tree hugging hippy propaganda wrapped up in a decent looking package.

10. Cynthia Kellyon 13 Mar 2010 at 12:31 pm

Here’s a good infographic on this subject:

11. RobGon 13 Mar 2010 at 4:35 pm

Ahahaha @hamranhansenhansen. Once in a lifetime movie? I can barely remember the characters names. Does this mean Dances with Wolves is a once in a lifetime movie? And pocahontas? Or is it technology wise that you’re talking about? If that’s the case I’d say the lord of the rings trilogy is the first of the “21st century movies” You know, that ACTUALLY MEMORABLE digital character gollum and all. But it comes down to taste in the end. No one’s saying you have to like one over the other but part of loving something is recognising it’s flaws and loving it anyway. To quote Matt Stone: I really liked avatar but I can’t defend a single thing in it.

12. Podunkon 13 Mar 2010 at 7:20 pm

Avatar is the newest version of Fern Gully. If you loved Fern Gully, you’ll love this 3D version of it.

13. zenjexon 13 Mar 2010 at 7:28 pm

I’m with Hamranhansenhansenon … Avatar was a revolutionary movie that was beyond it’s time. On the other hand The Hurl … wait what was it called again?

Cynthia, the infographic says it all. It didn’t make all that money by being average. And people dont watch a movie 3 times in the theater because of special effects. All hail James Cameron and co.

14. RobGon 13 Mar 2010 at 10:57 pm

So you’re saying a movie’s greatness is based on how much money it makes? Then why haven’t more by-the-numbers romantic comedies been nominated? Where’s Matthew McConaughey’s best actor nomination? What about Old Dogs?
    Avatar is not beyond it’s time. It’s technology is.

15. RobGon 13 Mar 2010 at 10:57 pm

I mean its* DAMN!

16. Cynthia Kellyon 14 Mar 2010 at 4:15 am

@zenjex, Definitely! Something with that much universal appeal MUST have something going for it.

@RobG, If you define “greatness” as being popular, then yes, money is a very good indicator.

Is there anything you can think of anything or anyone that has earned billions that is not considered “great” in some way?

P.S. I’m glad you caught your it’s-vs.-its dealio. :)

17. Movie downloadson 17 Mar 2010 at 1:29 am

neither movie deserved the awards they got. d9 and inglorious were much better movies than either.