Feb 15 2010

The Eight Strangest Looking Actors in Hollywood

Published by at 1:15 pm under Images,Lists,Movies,Television

christopher-walken.jpg

Though that’s generally true, many roles require the actor to be significantly less pretty than your average leading man. But also, since they can’t rely on their looks to get them by, these actors have had to make their careers based on their talents alone, and therefore I find them to be better dramatic and comedic performers than most of your average A-listers.

While most might consider these eight actors “creepy looking,” they are supremely talented individuals, and while most of them have proven themselves onscreen, it is kind of a bummer they’re largely restricted to rather villainous roles.

1. Jackie Earle Haley

jackie-earle-haley.jpg

He’s been an actor for a while now, but his breakout role was as a former sex offender in the otherwise terrible, but critically-lauded Little Children. Since then, he’s filled the mask and trenchcoat of Rorschach in Watchmen, and will be the new burned face of Freddy Krueger soon enough in the Nightmare on Elm St. remake.

Was He Always This Creepy?

young-jackie-earle-haley.jpg

Verdict: Yes

2. Robert Knepper

robert-knepper.jpg

A TV actor best known for his stint as psycho rapist-killer T-bag in Prison Break, Knepper has recently been the only thing worthwhile about Heroes, and his biggest movie role to date was as the bad guy in Transporter 3. Expect him to start getting larger roles in the future.

Was He Always This Creepy?

young-robert-knepper.jpg

Verdict: Eh, a bit skinny, but pretty normal back in his Star Trek guest starring days.

3. Steve Buscemi

steve-buscemi.jpg

Perhaps the poster boy for famous, creepy looking actors, Buscemi has a storied career, and to me, his most memorable role had to be in Fargo, where he met an untimely end inside of a woodchipper in one of the most memorable deaths in movie history.

Was He Always This Creepy?

young-steve-buscemi.jpg

Verdict: Yes

4. Willem Dafoe

willem-dafoe.jpg

His roles are surprisingly split between good guy and bad buy, but he’s so well-versed he can do either well.  The man’s film career is impressive as he’s played everyone from Jesus to a vampire to a Mexican dictator. The man’s got range.

Was He Always This Creepy?

young-willem-dafoe.jpg

Verdict: Yes. Oh God, yes.

5. Christopher Walken

christopher_walken1.jpg

Everyone should have immediately recognized the face that was the lead image for this article. It was THE Christopher Walken of course, and the man’s distinctive face and speaking style have crafted him an acting genre all his own, and spawned, way, way too many YouTube impressions.

Was He Always This Creepy?

young-christopher-walken.jpg

Verdict: Nope. Sex bomb!

6. Crispin Glover

crispin-glover.jpg

I’d have to say that out of everyone on this list, Glover’s talents are probably in the shallow end, as fare like Willard doesn’t exactly speak for him as a solo performer. But yes, he’s definitely freaking creepy, and the next time you’ll see him making you uncomfortable will be in Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland as the Knave of Hearts.

Was He Always This Creepy?

young-crispin-glover.jpg

Verdict: Yes

7. William Fichtner

william-ficthner.jpg

Fichtner is a prototypical “that guy” actor who I know you’ve seen in many, many films and TV shows over the years. He has a distinctive look about that I would not call…ugly or weird per se, just really…different, and I think that definitely helps him land all these roles looking for someone that stands out in a crowd.

Was He Always This Creepy?

young-william-fichtner.jpg

Verdict: Eh, split decision

8. Michael Emerson

michael-emerson.jpg

Benjamin Linus himself rounds up this list, and I expect you’ll start seeing him a lot more places after his memorable breakout turn on Lost wraps up after this year. He plays a unnerving little weasel of a bad guy, but he’s brought great dramatic range to the role and deserves to be given the chance to do the same for other parts in other features or shows.

Was He Always This Creepy?

young-michael-emerson2.jpg

Verdict: Uhhhh, yeahhhh.

86 Responses to “The Eight Strangest Looking Actors in Hollywood”

1. illeaturfamilyon 15 Feb 2010 at 2:22 pm

Funny, all those guys you picked out kind of look alike to me. Also, when I read the verdict on Chris Walken I totally read that with a mental finger snap and head bob. Tittiessss!

2. emceon 15 Feb 2010 at 2:40 pm

okay, but what about Benicio Del Toro and maybe Vinnie Jones (for Midnight Meat Train)?

3. Korinthianon 15 Feb 2010 at 3:09 pm

I guess it’s not easy for a creepy-looking woman to make a career in Hollywood. Don’t forget that guy from Rocky Horror/Home Alone 2.

4. Paul Tassion 15 Feb 2010 at 3:33 pm

@Korinthian

Yeah, I thought about making a separate list, but you’re right, it’s hard to really think of examples. Tilda Swindon?

5. MacGyver1138on 15 Feb 2010 at 3:36 pm

Korinthian is right, Tim Curry deserves a spot on this list. He still gives me nightmares as Pennywise the clown!

6. Madisonon 15 Feb 2010 at 4:35 pm

Uh, for women, how about Chloe from 24? She’s pretyy odd-looking…

7. EJon 15 Feb 2010 at 4:44 pm

Pretty sure Jackie Earl’s breakout role was in the Bad News Bears, you know, where the “verdict” pic is from.

Crispin Glover is a rare bird indeed. I think its all an act, but he’s had his share of creepy night show appearances. That being said, he was perfect in Charlie’s Angels.

This list need Gary Busey, Clancy Brown, and, since you mentioned Buscemi in Fargo, his partner in crime/killer (spoilers!) Peter Stormare.

8. Matton 15 Feb 2010 at 9:40 pm

Clint Howard anyone?

9. illeaturfamilyon 15 Feb 2010 at 11:45 pm

the female list could include shelley duval (god dammit wendy!), sarah jessica parker (cause i think her face looks like a spider-fetus), joan cusak, and possibly renee zellweger (depending on how much she does that stupid scruncy face thing. also, she gains/drops weight like a boxer for her roles… freaks me out.)

10. jayhawkon 16 Feb 2010 at 1:28 am

William H. Macy?

11. ianon 16 Feb 2010 at 1:42 am

I’m kind of shocked Tim Curry wasn’t on the list. Oh and I find out funny that they listed Robert Knepper big role being from “Transporter 3″ but then show a still from his role in “Hitman”.

12. y0on 16 Feb 2010 at 3:20 am

What about the Wayne Knight aka NEWWWMAN from Seinfeld.

13. Timon 16 Feb 2010 at 3:27 am

Just so you guys know, you made a mistake on Robert Knepper. That picture in the tub was from Hitman (2007) also starring Timothy Olyphant. Just wanted to point that out.

14. Kandanaeon 16 Feb 2010 at 4:08 am

Some of them aren’t so creepy. Ugly maybe ,but not all creepy. lol

15. Mugglenatoron 16 Feb 2010 at 4:41 am

Some good candidates, especially Walken and Dafoe but the biggest mystery to me is Owen Wilson. I mean seriously, that man’s nose defies logic – how the hell did he become a leading man in Hollywood?

16. Hammond Eggeron 16 Feb 2010 at 6:09 am

How the hell did John C Reilly avoid this list?

17. Easy Canon 16 Feb 2010 at 6:28 am

that was a shocking list!!! im going to have a hard time picking who was worst!!! they funny thing is that while they are all creapy they all actually have really cool voices.

18. AJon 16 Feb 2010 at 7:13 am

When I first saw William Fichtner in “The Perfect Storm” I thought he was a bit “unusual” looking. But his acting was outstanding. Then I checked out all of his films and TV work. Now I think he is HOTHOTHOT and am his biggest fan…along with a large contingency of others around the world.

19. Thaddon 16 Feb 2010 at 8:44 am

You forgot Owen Willson, his creepy has been enough to infect the remainder of his family (it went with the stupid and the not actually an actor diseases)

20. elle07on 16 Feb 2010 at 10:52 am

I used to live upstairs from William Fichtner and thought that was why I felt like I knew him. He’s actually ridiculously hot. Very tall and pretty quiet.

21. ladiesmanon 16 Feb 2010 at 11:28 am

No Clint Howard?! This list is made of pure fail. 100% pure fail. Clint Howard is the DEFINITION of a strange looking star. The question really is, does he count as a “star”?

22. DavidEon 16 Feb 2010 at 12:27 pm

Where’s Eric Roberts? I have never been able to watch anything with him in it.

23. lxxyon 16 Feb 2010 at 12:56 pm

You forgot Aaron Eckhart. That guy is a decent actor, but he looks WAAAAAY too weird. I can barely watch The Dark Knight by it’s self, unless it’s with Rifftrax, because of him alone.

He looked more normal as Two Face than Harvey Dent.

24. JessicaDwyeron 16 Feb 2010 at 1:42 pm

I’m attracted to everyone of these guys.

My husband looks like none of them.

You forgot Robert Englund.

Also sexy.

25. chrystanion 16 Feb 2010 at 1:52 pm

Christopher Walken…

*mouth watering*

Old school sex bomb…

26. boethiuson 16 Feb 2010 at 1:54 pm

If the list is generically defined as “actors in Hollywood” then Robert Z’Dar and Michael Berryman need to be on this list too.

27. [...] When you think of the prototypical Hollywood star, is this face what you see? No, I thought not. Rather imagines of Pitt, Clooney, Jolie and Megan Fox pop up in your head, as actors are supposed to be good looking, right?Source:http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/2010/02/15/the-eight-strangest-looking-actors-in-hollywood/ [...]

28. [...] Jolie and Megan Fox pop up in your head, as actors are supposed to be good looking, right?Source:http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/2010/02/15/the-eight-strangest-looking-actors-in-hollywood/ ( Leave a comment [...]

29. sarahon 16 Feb 2010 at 6:24 pm

how can no one mention kevin bacon? i find him incredibly weird looking!

30. PepperjackCandyon 16 Feb 2010 at 11:46 pm

What about Brad Dourif?

31. shawnon 17 Feb 2010 at 3:20 am

I know a lot of these are movie stills, but photo credits would be appreciated! Give credit wherever possible (for example, the shot of Walken is by Martin Schoeller). Thanks.

32. suzeon 17 Feb 2010 at 8:10 am

I think some of these actors are very handsome actually, it’s their unique look which appeals to me. Watch the movie Deerhunter and you’ll see just how beautiful Christopher Walken actually was in his hey day. I think he could play Johnny Depp’s father in a movie. Crispin Glover is very good looking.

33. [...] of the prototypical Hollywood star, is this face what you see?  Probably not.  Check out the eight strangest looking actors in Hollywood. Similar Posts:None Found You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. [...]

34. mcgrimuson 17 Feb 2010 at 1:49 pm

Anyone else notice how Christopher Walken’s eyes are not level? His left eye is noticeably lower. I never noticed this until looking at the younger pic of him.

35. The Mutton 17 Feb 2010 at 8:25 pm

If Steve Buscemi hit the gym, got his teeth fixed and took a nap, he’d look like Johnny Weissmuller.

36. Saraon 18 Feb 2010 at 1:10 pm

Good List…but what about Kevin Bacon?! He’s creepy…I just found a really awesome top 10 at http://digg.com/celebrity/Top_10_Celeb_Look_A_Likes/who

DIGG IT

37. Haywireon 18 Feb 2010 at 2:47 pm

Willem Dafoe definitely pulled off a sexy look back then in ‘Platoon’ and imho he is still quite attractive today.

However, great list, but Kevin Bacon should really be on it.

38. Friday LinkFrogging – 2/19/10 «on 19 Feb 2010 at 4:58 pm

[...] And finally, the eight strangest looking actors in Hollywood. [...]

39. [...] The Eight Strangest Looking Actors in Hollywood [Unreality] [...]

40. [...] Unreality – The Eight Strangest Looking Actors in Hollywood | [...]

41. LSheaon 09 Mar 2010 at 10:17 am

Gary Busey and his son?

42. LSheaon 09 Mar 2010 at 10:20 am

“He looked more normal as Two Face than Harvey Dent.”

This is going to sound so weird but me and my mom didn’t see him as at all good-looking until he became Two Face because then we could appreciate the unburned side of his face better.

43. [...] look, don’t yell at me, I’m not being sexist. A few weeks ago, I wrote this post, about the strangest looking actors in Hollywood, and now I’m doing a follow-up with actress. [...]

44. waqasbabarbaigon 19 Mar 2010 at 2:41 am

update new event

45. Berton 29 Mar 2010 at 4:53 pm

Interestingly enough, the story goes that Johnny Depp got his first acting role (in one of the Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street movies, I think) because he decided to tag along with a friend of his who was auditioning.

That friend – Jackie Earle Haley.

46. Levion 30 Mar 2010 at 7:32 am

How the hell did Elrond/Agent Smith not make it on this list???

47. LowSlashon 31 Mar 2010 at 9:02 pm

@EJ Clancy Brown?! The man is a sex bomb! He can cuss me to sleep any night.

48. Ashleyon 31 Mar 2010 at 11:43 pm

Michael Emerson is such an amazing actor. He always looks a little odd, but when he’s not being Ben he seems to be a pretty nice, down to earth, and very funny guy.

49. vanessaon 02 Apr 2010 at 11:42 pm

lol excellent choice.. i agree with most of them

50. rileyboyon 27 Apr 2010 at 12:49 am

You left out Joaquim Phoenix

51. Lorraineon 11 May 2010 at 9:39 pm

Jackie Earle Haley’s characters aren’t creepy and he’s not either. He is sexy as hell. As Kelly Leak he was smokin hot and as Rorschach, he was even hotter.

52. mehdion 12 May 2010 at 3:34 pm

the second Elvis Presley

a super extra gifted boy

53. Meeeon 30 May 2010 at 10:43 pm

Don´t know why, but I´m attracted by “creepy looking” men. Especially Robert Knepper and Chris Walken look good to me.
    I don´t find guys with “perfect” faces (like Brad Pitt and so on) sexy at all.

54. Listmakeron 03 Jun 2010 at 5:15 am

How about Oliver Platt? He’s certainly another non-leading man who’s been odd-looking throughout his career.

55. Kashiaon 18 Jun 2010 at 1:07 am

Aw, Jackie Earle Haley isn’t strange looking. :( Actually, he was kinda hot when he was a teenager.

And that last pic you used of Michael Emerson is pretty cute, not creepy at all.

But I still like your list. Gave me a good laugh.

56. Tammion 22 Jun 2010 at 12:26 pm

There’s an actor I’m trying to find who is definitely strange looking. He has the darkest eyes I’ve ever seen! He kinda resembles Mandy Patinkin, but his eyes are almost literally black. Anyone know who he is? I can hardly watch him.

57. Emilyon 30 Jun 2010 at 1:49 pm

These guys are nearly all amongst my favourite actors! They have been succesful through their excellent acting talents regardless of their looks. Having said that, Rob Knepper is gorgeous!

58. TouchDownHeroon 31 Jul 2010 at 6:36 pm

Michael Emerson is the most iconic bug-eyed man alive! And for some reason, I hate Willem DeFoes face!

59. mccanuteon 15 Aug 2010 at 9:41 pm

How come Jack Nicholson didn’t make the list?

Or Anthony Perkins, or Donald Sutherland?

Or Chi McBride? – That guy’s got a skull makes you take him serious!

But I agree on earlier posts advocating Tim Curry, William H. Macy, and last but not least: Gary Busey (who as far as I can see at some time – presumably unintentionally, but very successfully – has been augmenting his oddness with plastic surgery).

60. Typhuseon 27 Aug 2010 at 8:44 pm

Robert Knepper was in Hitman not transporter 3.

61. teresaon 06 Sep 2010 at 6:21 am

funny thing is, 3 of these guys are pretty HOTT. In a creepy Steven Tyler way.

62. Heather Zackon 05 Dec 2010 at 6:11 pm

Excuse me, you forgot Tobin Bell… he’s someone who’s always getting casted as bad guy… and almost always ends up dying too. then of course he’s not really creepy either, he’s very adorable and is an extremely brilliant actor. As is Jackie Earle Haley… Oh and John C. Reily.

63. gdavidon 31 Dec 2010 at 11:17 am

Who’s that French guy? Vincent Cassel?

64. melancholicoon 23 Jan 2011 at 11:51 pm

Am I the only one who thinks some of these actors are totally HOT? The rest are some of the best actors I know. Steve Buscemi is my all time favorite.

65. I Am Amazingon 28 Mar 2011 at 12:53 pm

Jack Nicholson? But I’ll settle for without as you’ve got Crispin Glover on the list.

66. lindabeeon 20 Jun 2011 at 3:35 am

dear william looks like a teen age when he took part in his first TV play.

when he took part in contact, looks like a twenties, but.

67. JCLon 26 Aug 2011 at 3:04 am

What about Jack Nicholson and Gary Busy?!?

68. Mikeon 31 Aug 2011 at 9:49 am

Why is the first one marked as always creepy? I don’t understand. Him as a kid looks pretty plain. What am I missing?

69. FunkySallyon 31 Aug 2011 at 3:18 pm

@emce Woah woah woah. Benicio del toro is a sexy beast. I agree with chloe from 24 being weird looking.

70. hannahon 11 Oct 2011 at 2:23 pm

The picture right under 2. Robert Knepper is not from Transporter 3, it is from Hitman.

71. Melissaon 14 Dec 2011 at 9:09 pm

How about John Malkovich? It’s a coin toss for me. I thought he was kind of attractive in the 80s and early 90s, but in some films, he looked pretty scary looking or weird. As for women, I think of Rachel Dratch from SNL. She has a goofy and/or spooky look to her but to be fair, she also takes attractive headshots when done right (I know that seems crazy but there are some online. : ) Oh, here’s another one for you… Meg Foster (from films such as They Live (John Carpenter,) Masters of The Universe, and Leviathan. I also remember watching her in a TV series/ or “made for tv movie” that either my English or History teacher had my class watch in High School. She’s attractive but has the craziest light blue eyes that I’ve noticed in a few of the films I’ve seen her in. I can tell they’re natural because I’ve worn colored contacts so I know how they look. She’d play a great vampire or zombie and wouldn’t need contacts. : )

72. Melissaon 14 Dec 2011 at 9:27 pm

One* more comment: The main actor, Jeffrey Combs, from Reanimator. Someone on here mentioned they can’t think of some dude’s name who has the “darkest/blackest” eyes. They might be talking about him. Also Robert Blake has really dark eyes and looks creepy as f-ck. Robert played some creepy roles, and later on… shot his wife. I think he’s in prison for it. Just had to mention that. : )

73. Superboymomon 07 Jan 2012 at 2:27 am

Danny DeVito, Arnold Schwartzenegger and Brent Spiner.

74. Wiedaon 02 Feb 2012 at 4:34 am

well….the list is not completely true, because:
    1. William Fitchner is really hot….and he’s not strange looking at all for me

2. Robert Kneeper maybe strange looking….but he’s not ugly…..I kind of like him….

3. and for you to say Joachin Phoenix is ugly or strange looking….maybe you all need a glasses…..that man is handsome enough…

4. love Owen Wilson and he’s not ugly at all !!!!!

5. That Michael Emerson is cutee…..

but I also agree for the rest of the list exept for those man I wrote above

75. Wiedaon 02 Feb 2012 at 4:36 am

and almost forgot…..Kevin Bacon is hotttt…….

76. gwoodon 17 Feb 2012 at 10:46 pm

Michael Emerson is hot! Brains over brawn any day!

77. rampant_stupidityon 21 Mar 2012 at 11:27 am

I’m obviously going to be talking to the wrong people here, but how annoying is it when people keep making the same comments/corrections over and over?

Do they not bother to read the other comments? I’m sure this guy needed to be told he made the hitman/transporter mistake 54 and a half times.

As far as the list goes, I agree, the first guy seems pretty normal as a kid.

Secondly, if you people think these guys are hot then I know there is a market for pimping dead roadside critters.

Third, there were def a few hit in the comments that should make a list of the same type, but you gotta cut it off somewhere. (Though Jack N. should be there simply given his status as an actor)

Also, I would like to point out that this list is of “creepy” actors, not necessarily “ugly” actors, that being said…if you make a list of female stars, I would love to see Shelly Duvall, as someone else already mentioned. She is mostly ugly I guess, but creepy ain’t too far behind.

And lastly, why is it that no one ever mentions that blonde actress with the fifteen inch gap between her eye boogers and a mouth that makes wild animals freak out? Can’t think of her name…thought it was Amy Poehler before I pulled up images, but she’s actually not that bad looking in comparison. Someone that looks like her inbred sister is out there scaring small children right now though, so if you can think of her name please post it here…and on the Amber Alert Web site.

78. Vitoon 26 Apr 2012 at 9:57 pm

I’m sorry, but Willem Dafoe may have always looked creepy, but he was fine when he was younger. I just love his strong facial features! Maybe it’s just me idk. :)

79. Tinaon 27 Apr 2012 at 6:02 pm

What about Ron Perlman??? He’s got very distinctive, heavy features. I hate to be cruel but when I look at him the word “ape” comes to mind every time.

80. Alen Druskoon 12 Jun 2012 at 3:55 am

How can this list have any credit without mentioning Vincent Schiavelli, Michael Berryman, Clint Howard, Richard Kiel or Quentin Tarantino?

I think it’s about time for a re-edit.

81. Alen Druskoon 12 Jun 2012 at 3:59 am

oh, and pretty much the whole cast from “One flew over the cuckoo’s nest”.

82. Emanfreemanon 24 Sep 2012 at 7:28 pm

Come on people… EUGENE LEVY!!!

83. izoeon 13 Dec 2012 at 12:33 am

What about that white, skinny guy that looks like snoop dogg, and i know he’s a DJ too

84. jpon 29 Jan 2013 at 7:17 pm

how in gods name is William H Macy not on this

85. EnglishChrison 14 Feb 2013 at 10:03 pm

The Actor from ‘Ghost’! His name escapes me, but his performance when teaching Patrick Swayze how to kick the pop-can, revealed a face that only a mother could love, quite creepy. This Actor also appeared in ‘One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest’. Does anybody know his name?

86. Nicolas Huerreon 06 Nov 2013 at 10:57 pm

Kid from Home alone that’s now a Meth addict: Macaulay Culkin and creepy kid from Artificial Intelligence: Haley Joel Osment need to be on this list.