Jul 31 2009

Is Funny People Good? Like, Is it Possible?

Published by at 12:30 pm under Movies,News

Funny

Something tells me that this review is going to be the most spot on about this film.  Don’t get me wrong, I give Apatow all the credit in the world for the films he’s made.  Notably Knocked Up and 40 Year Old Virgin.  You have to admit those are pretty funny.

But if there’s one complaint I have about Apatow’s style is that it’s a little cheesy.  Like rather than go all out with something completely slapstick and disgusting, there has to be a sense of “sensitivity” involved.  It’s similar to the kind of crap you see in love stories.   Even uplifting to some respect.  While humor is still there, it’s kind of heartfelt.  And honestly I don’t really need that in a comedy.  Just go Todd Phillips a-la Old School and don’t mess around.

By the way, I’m referring to the films Apatow’s directed, not written or produced.  I mean the guy produced Superbad so I’m not off his side just yet.  But let’s be realistic.  This film is definitely an attempt to add drama to his resume.  I haven’t even seen the damned thing yet but you can just tell from the previews.

And the pairing of Sandler with this new generation?  I don’t like it.  I don’t like it at all.  When’s the last time Sandler was funny?  Honestly.  It was in Big Daddy.   This is like watching Jimmy Paige rock out with Puff Daddy in that crappy version of Kashmir years back.   Kind of vomit inducing actually.

100 bucks says Eric Bana is by far the best thing in this movie.

11 Responses to “Is Funny People Good? Like, Is it Possible?”

1. Dave-Oon 31 Jul 2009 at 12:38 pm

Not to be a prick, but when referring to the Zep song, it’s Kashmir not Cashmere. It has little to do with sweaters as far as I know haha

2. SargentMacon 31 Jul 2009 at 12:42 pm

Not to be a prick, but when naming myself Dave-O, I thought I’d be cool but I’m still not sure so I write in a little chuckle at the end of my comments haha

3. IcemanDon 31 Jul 2009 at 12:42 pm

The reviews coming out on the web so far are pretty split on this movie. I have a feeling this is going to fall into the “love it or hate it” category. I’m going to see it tonight (although opening night can be a bit dodgy for getting tickets).

4. Madisonon 31 Jul 2009 at 1:29 pm

Sandler never stopped being funny. He’s a very funny guy – he just decided to do family movies and get paid. When you see him in interviews and such, though, he’s still funny. So I’m not concerned about him at all.

I think this movie will be great…and I loved Knocked Up. So it has a soul? Some drama and character development? Oh, for shame!

If anyone goes into Funny People thinking it’s going to be a straight up comedy, they’re idiots. Knocked Up was nothing like that, and youc ould argue that 40 YOV had some dramatic elements, too. I don’t think this is a new venture for Apatow, it’s simply his evolution as a filmmaker.

5. Edson 31 Jul 2009 at 2:06 pm

Ill take that $100 bet – RZA is def going to be the best thing about the movie

6. ryanon 31 Jul 2009 at 2:56 pm

Eds is right.

7. Nattybon 31 Jul 2009 at 5:57 pm

Sorry about the Kashmir, I knew it looked funny.

8. Nattybon 31 Jul 2009 at 5:58 pm

I think Sargentmac just made my day.

9. Nattybon 31 Jul 2009 at 5:59 pm

Madison, you and me are going to have to box pretty soon.

10. Madisonon 31 Jul 2009 at 6:23 pm

@ Nattyb

No way man. I can’t compete with your Mr. Fantastic arms.

11. WhatITison 04 Sep 2009 at 2:14 pm

I Thought this movie was great and i pretty much like ALL of adam sandlers movies the only one i havent seen is punch drunk love hes alway been funny and he always will be to me