Jun 30 2009

Let’s Face It: The Golden Girls Was An Awesome Show

Published by at 12:30 pm under Television

Golden Girls

I just wanted to take a moment to pay tribute to The Golden Girls.   For the past five days my wife has been watching this show constantly as there’s been some sort of marathon on the WE network.  While this network usually makes me quite nauseous, I’ve been pleasantly surprised by these four women.

What began as me simply listening to the dialogue while at the computer is now me full out watching the show.  I have to admit once you get past the having to picture the women naked due to the sexual nature of the show, it ends up being pretty hilarious.

Personally I think it’s incredibly well written and each character brings their own flavor.  Blanche is a total slut, but the other women let her know about it which is amazing.  Dorothy is incredibly smart, Rose dumb and Sophia the witty yet completely irritable old mother.   It’s truly a great combination.

Honestly, if you want to see great sitcom writing you should watch this show.  As long as you can get over the fact that it’s about four aging women you’ll be fine.

8 Responses to “Let’s Face It: The Golden Girls Was An Awesome Show”

1. Jasonon 30 Jun 2009 at 1:19 pm

I agree! It is one of my favorite shows. The writing is incredible and their delivery is perfect. I own all 7 seasons on DVD. The DVD versions are the original broadcasts in full. The ones on the WE networks and Hallmark Channel cut out a few lines to make room for more advertising. Those women were, and are fabulous. They just don’t make them like that anymore.

2. Nattybon 30 Jun 2009 at 1:20 pm

Thank God a guy stepped up to comment. Nicely done Jason.

3. Madisonon 30 Jun 2009 at 1:21 pm

Totally agree. Golden Girls was edgier and funnier than almost any other show during its time. It speaks measures about the writers that a show about 4 elderly women is so funny.

4. Hey Lady!on 01 Jul 2009 at 1:56 am

For a show about a bunch of old ladies, I have never heard anyone say they didn’t like the Golden Girls. That in it’s self is impressive. Those women were comic geniuses. There really aren’t any shows that funny out there anymore, which is unfortunate.

5. Warrenon 01 Jul 2009 at 10:35 am

Yeah Golden Girls is awesome, though I haven’t watched it in years I always used to watch it when I was younger. And I will always say that no matter what she’s doing Betty White is one of the funniest people alive.

6. Ashweeeon 24 Jul 2009 at 3:45 am

I think it’s great to see elderly women still being effeminate and sexual on TV. That’s just kind of unheard of.

7. seeinidawgon 07 Jan 2010 at 1:24 pm

I think the most amazing thing about this article is the fact that “nattyb”, which I even hate writing by the way, is married. I guess that goes to show that there is someone out there for everyone, even shallow-minded chuckle-heads with a general opinion on everything that doesn’t matter. However I have to say that The Golden Girls has always been a good show to me. Even as a kid, not mature enough to grasp the content, I still enjoyed watching it.

8. drink51on 14 Jun 2010 at 5:27 pm

Agreed, when i was little my parents watched it and I thought it was 4 old ladies who always ate cheesecake but years later going back and watching it was a very solid show all the way around