Jun 29 2009

Five Ways to Make The Office Much Much Better

Published by at 10:46 am under Television

Arts

Is it me or has The Office been significantly worse for at least two to three seasons?  I’m not going to say that “I don’t know why it sucks now.”  In fact I know exactly why it sucks and exactly why it used to be good.

And unfortunately something tells me that the producers feel that the reasons the show became a success stem much more behind its main character and not those other characters that made the show so lovable.

In any event, here are five sure ways to make this show funny again

Stop Doing the whole Jim and Pam Thing

Jim and Pam

OK.  It was cute at one point.  When Jim first kisses Pam in the office even I admit it was pretty cool.  But now that they’re together does the show have to keep making me puke?  They’re pregnant now?  Who cares?  Stop trying to showcase Jim’s serious acting side.  It’s like in Friends when Chandler becomes a total sap after he marries Monica.  The show was NEVER the same and Chandler’s nuts were clearly removed.  Jim’s turning into a vagina and I don’t like it one bit.

Give Creed much more TV Time

Creed

You can’t just let this guy have one decent line per show.  Let the man out of his cage for Christ’s sake.  He’s about the best thing this show has going right now.  I’m not saying to make him influential or feature him too often but he’s definitely being under utilized.

Remove Kelly Kapoor completely

Kelly

Does anyone in the free world have any objections to this?  I know the whole point of her is to annoy the hell out of us.  Congrats guys.  You’ve succeeded admirably.   We get it.  She’s unattractive but thinks she is.  She’s some young generation prissy girl who bothers everyone.  We get that too.  Now can we just get a hot chick to take her place and make all the males in the office uncomfortable?

Have Michael Scott talk significantly less

Scott

Why is he so damned featured now?  We get it.  He’s dumb.  Can we just go back to what made the show funny?  Mr. Scott has his dumb lines, yes.  He always has.  But since when is he the entire show?  I don’t need it.  I really don’t.  Somewhere along the lines his character just got way worse and way more annoying.  Why do I feel like he wasn’t this way the first two seasons?  I don’t know.  Because he wasn’t?

Hire Darryl as a Salesperson

Darryl

Get Darryl into that office full time.   Hearing him on the phone and flirting with the new assistant would work wonders for the show.

*Other small suggestions and observations

Get Jim and Dwight more involved as a team in some way
Exploit Oscar being gay more (Not because I advocate it but because uncomfortable scenes are what made this show funny)
Angela sucks but have her bang Dwight more
Can we get Toby back involved please?
Is Kevin just not funny anymore?  Whose writing his lines dammit?
Get Ryan to do lots of drugs again
I don’t know if Andy will ever be a comfortable fit in this show – no clue there

I could probably write an entire book here but this is just some preliminary stuff.  Let us know your suggestions.

22 Responses to “Five Ways to Make The Office Much Much Better”

1. Tony Tornadoon 29 Jun 2009 at 11:27 am

yeah, there’s some problems, but the show still cracks me up all the same

2. Nattybon 29 Jun 2009 at 11:28 am

Hey I’m not saying the show is all that horrible. I just think it used to be much funnier.

3. alexon 29 Jun 2009 at 12:06 pm

Pull the plug, use this season to wrap it up. There is nowhere left to go on this show that doesn’t jump the shark.

4. IcemanDon 29 Jun 2009 at 12:12 pm

Hmm, I find the show very funny still. Certainly not as funny as the first 2-3 seasons, but still WAY better than 90% of the other comedies on TV.

5. Cherylon 29 Jun 2009 at 2:08 pm

I think there should be a lot more with all the wharehouse staff! I miss Jan too, I know they really don’t have a way of bringing her back but when she and Michael started to sleep together waaaay back (remember Jamaica?) that was gold.

6. MacGyver1138on 29 Jun 2009 at 3:28 pm

I still enjoy the show, but I absolutely agree with the Kelly suggestion. Her character is just annoying. Not annoyingly funny.

7. chelseaon 29 Jun 2009 at 4:57 pm

i think that Parks and Recreation and 30 Rock kick the shit out of The Office…. it definitely went downhill really fast.

8. Lauraon 29 Jun 2009 at 5:36 pm

I love Toby and it makes me mad that he’s like NEVER on anymore. I know he does alot of the writing, but he still is hilarious. Same with Creed.

Michael drives me insane. It is just pas the point of ridiculousness on how stupid he is. Season 2 and 3 were the best. And I think Pam/Jim is cute, but it was alot better when they weren’t together.

Where the hell is Jan? She always did some great stuff, too. Singing “Son of a Preacher Man” at the baby shower was hilarious.

9. Muppet Babyon 29 Jun 2009 at 6:36 pm

Bring back JAN. Enough said.

10. Brandon S.on 29 Jun 2009 at 11:51 pm

Jim and Pam – Gee, I’m sorry that they’re keeping two of the most beloved characters on TV and trying to give them a realistic relationship with depth that’s not ruled by endless break-ups and back togethers. Krasinski’s moment in the finale where he finds out he’s pregnant was perfect, the best Jim moment on the Office. It’s impossible not to feel his joy when that expression crosses his face.

Creed – Yes, he needs more time, I agree, though part of his charm is how unpredictable his appearances and quotes are, and if he were expanded to a larger size, I thin it might be to the character’s detriment.

Kelly Capoor – Yeah, she’s annoying.

Michael Scott – If you can’t appreciate the intricate character development that can be traced over the Office’s five year run, then you have no business claiming yourself as an Office fan. Michael has really matured over the years, even if he’s still a big kid, and the finale and his interaction with Holly was a great way of showing that. The fourth season was his worst, at least the beginning of it – where he seemed to take the opportunity to freak out at every possible instance. The first through third and the fifth seasons did much more, though, and gave Michael a greater and deeper self-awareness than he had in the first two seasons.

Darrell – Yeah, it could be more entertaining to have him around, but he wouldn’t work in the office. Out of character. I’d almost see him sooner quitting Dunder-Miffling than working in the actual stuffy office.

11. Zakon 30 Jun 2009 at 12:14 am

Michael was funnier in 1-2 because he was a completely different character. He was the whole goddamn premise: show the inside of an office with the worst boss imaginable— one who is painfully inappropriate and oblivious; one who tells bad jokes and gets too involved in his employees surroundings!
    …Now he’s just unrealistically stupid and childish, to the point that he would just be fired and that’d be the end of it.

I would sincerely like to say that the show just needs to end already, and save itself the embarrassment of jumping the shark completely (although it isn’t at a loss for tries: I’m lookin at you, fake pot in Toby’s desk) but in reality, the characters are just blown way out of proportion, everything is, really. It used to be a show about more or less normal people being forced to work for an impossible boss. Sure they had little quirks, and were a little unorthodox, but they were still similar enough to real people that the show wasn’t a sitcom….Now that’s exactly what it is, and nobody is the least bit relatable, except for Jim and Pam (who simply havn’t changed at all, unfortunately). Now Dwight isn’t even a human anymore, he’s just a constant force, driving the show towards failure. I’ve hate what he’s become, really and truly. He doesn’t make me laugh anymore, very little does in one of the best shows ever made, and that’s a sad thing, for a show to live past it’s prime, whilst great shows like Arrested Development and TSCC don’t even get a chance. Really, the show just needs to end, there isn’t any other way, anything else is just beating a dead horse; the characters are so overdeveloped and warped that they aren’t quirky or fun anymore, just annoying.

12. [...] Pictures:      The 10 Sexiest Fast Food Commercials of all Time TV:              Five Ways to Make The Office Much Much Better Funny:         Funny Hilarious Videos Internet:      The Pirate Bay Sold [...]

13. [...] any event, here are five sure ways to make this show funny again No TweetBacks yet. (Be the first to Tweet this post) Similar Posts:Couple dress as Shrek and [...]

14. KAGon 01 Jul 2009 at 7:25 pm

wow that Kelly Kapoor is freaking ugly, I have only watched the show a couple of times but damn that Michael Scott and his man slave with the glasses are so annyoning its not worth watching, long live LOST

15. non hateron 01 Jul 2009 at 11:47 pm

I <3′s me some Kelly Kapoor no matter what anyone says

16. dcon 06 Jul 2009 at 1:51 am

i’m looking forward to your book! keep up the paid blogging work! you have excellent ideas that deserve space on the internet (and thanks for getting so specific near the end). I think you really get comedy!

17. nameisrequiredon 06 Aug 2009 at 10:09 am

More pranks between Jim and Dwight!! My all time favorite was when Jim put the coins in Dwight’s phone receiver, or was it the Altoids?? Either way, they’re priceless, and I want more!

Also, Andy needs to go more than any other change that needs to be made. Nothing against the actor, but the character is lame. He doesn’t seem to fit in anywhere in the show, which I guess is maybe the point considering that the show is supposed to be awkward. I still couldn’t hate him any less though!

18. JordanMcDeereon 07 Sep 2009 at 9:30 am

You know what they needed to do to make this show amazing? Follow the EXACT storylines from the British version, but use American humour. The original (British) Office is one of the best TV shows of all time, and it only went on for 2 seasons, during which time there was none of this crap with Tim and Dawn (Jim and Pam) actually getting together. They saved that until the very last scene of the final episode.

19. jenon 09 Oct 2009 at 3:43 pm

I totally agree. I have watched “The Office” since season 1 and it is just not funny anymore. It’s like they are all trying way too hard. And the writers have gone to the lowest common denominator – body parts, sex, and potty humor. Go back to when it was smart, sophisticated – not about Andy’s genitalia being injured, which is not funny at all – really. Too much focus on Michael, too much focus on the characters and the outrageousness of what they do. Go back to silly office stunts, fun relationships, unexpected moments. The show has totally jumped the shark, which makes me so sad because it used to be really, really great.

20. ryan howardon 26 Mar 2010 at 4:28 am

thank you for saying get rid of KELLY man I couldnt
    agree with you more awesome dude!

at least when I was in the fab city of NEW YORK living
    the glam life I was free from her fucking clingy grasp
    but now man just give me some space to breathe!

maybe I’ll come up with an idea to get rid of her like
    me and DWIGHT are trying to get rid of JIM.

oh thats right JIM PAM and anyone else who hates me
    is really lame and I hope you just get the deadly and
    very serious swine flu and die alreadly.

thank you.

21. jameson 14 Sep 2011 at 1:51 am

this is some of the dumbest suggestions ever.

22. Claireon 13 Mar 2012 at 9:19 pm

I love Kelly. She’s funny as hell. Plus Mindy who plays her writes for the show.

I think she’s getting her own show though. So she may not be in season 9.