Apr 28 2009

Study Shows that Conservatives Don’t Know Stephen Colbert is Joking

Published by at 2:00 pm under Oddly Enough,Television

colbert.jpg

A recent study conducted by researchers at the Ohio State University has proven something I’ve wondered for years: Conservatives think Stephen Colbert is for real.

This issue cropped up a few years back when Stephen Colbert was asked to speak at the White House Correspondent’s Dinner, where he proceeded to tear the President apart with his typical hyper-rhetorical satire while he was standing just a few feet away. I thought it seemed very un-Bush-like to allow dissent in that close of a proximity to him, so I wondered if going in, did Bush and the event planners really think Colbert was on their side?

Well, now science says yes:

“Conservatives were more likely to report that Colbert only pretends to be joking and genuinely meant what he said while liberals were more likely to report that Colbert used satire and was not serious when offering political statements. Conservatism also significantly predicted perceptions that Colbert disliked liberalism. Finally, a post hoc analysis revealed that perceptions of Colbert’s political opinions fully mediated the relationship between political ideology and individual-level opinion.”

They think he’s being serious. I’ve seen Republican’s cluelessness in action before, but this has to be a new all-time record. I mean look at the picture I’ve used for this post! It should be a mural you’d see in Rush Limbaugh’s personal hell, and they’re actually taking him at face value?

Next news bulletin: The Onion: America’s Shining Journalistic Paragon

20 Responses to “Study Shows that Conservatives Don’t Know Stephen Colbert is Joking”

1. danon 28 Apr 2009 at 2:28 pm

i dunno, somehow i doubt that even the right is stupid enough to believe that hes for real.

2. Ianon 28 Apr 2009 at 2:36 pm

Very interesting, however to clarify about the correspondents dinner I believe the speaker was chosen by the New York Times’ white house correspondent.

3. Markon 28 Apr 2009 at 3:00 pm

I don’t understand. He’s joking?

4. luminous911on 28 Apr 2009 at 3:19 pm

Along these lines, is Rush Limbaugh joking? He is a joke after all.

5. kyleon 28 Apr 2009 at 3:34 pm

bush took it because hes not a pussy like obama who cries if anyone makes fun of him, and no most conservatives know that Colbert is joking (he endorsed obama for pete’s sake) its just that he does make some conservative jokes and things that are pretty funny and if anything he is more tolerable that Stewart

6. kjon 28 Apr 2009 at 4:16 pm

Kyle, may I call you Kyle?

please, and I cannot emphasize this enough…

Do not reproduce.

Thanks,

Humanity

7. Johnon 28 Apr 2009 at 4:39 pm

Colbert isn’t remotely funny, a preschool child could think of better jokes. When it was aired on FX in the UK I had to force myself to watch it for five minutes just to make sure I wasn’t missing the part where the funny Jokes actually kick in

8. Georgeon 28 Apr 2009 at 5:40 pm

*Headsmack*

I don’t know who they polled, but no conservative I know thinks he is being serious. Hell, most of us think he is hilarious because that is how liberals actually view us. We aren’t that over the top, insane, or ridiculous, and we can laugh when people act like we are.

9. [...] Daly (Gunaxin) Fat People, Bathing is now Much Easier (Manofest) Wait, Steven Colbert is Joking? (Unreality Mag) Written by aeneas07 in: Uncategorized [...]

10. Neilon 29 Apr 2009 at 10:46 am

It is good to see that my home school homies at Ohio State are continuing to do research that makes a difference in our world. :P

Also, I was not aware that Stephen Colbert was joking… What a dick.

11. Afternoon Linkson 29 Apr 2009 at 4:01 pm

[...] Study Shows that Conservatives Don’t Know Stephen Colbert is Joking (TV) [...]

12. Alexon 29 Apr 2009 at 4:40 pm

If you look at the quote:
    “Conservatives were more likely to report that Colbert only pretends to be joking and genuinely meant what he said while liberals were more likely to report that Colbert used satire and was not serious when offering political statements.”

It states that both sides think what they want. Conservs take it as pretend, libs take it as joking, and Colbert makes the cash. Smart man that colbert

13. [...] Study Shows that Conservatives Don’t Know Stephen Colbert is Joking [...]

14. Hankon 03 May 2009 at 1:09 am

This just in: Poll-takers don’t know that conservatives aren’t being serious when polled about Steven Colbert.

15. Ararielon 11 Jun 2009 at 4:07 pm

I do know someone this stupid, but I think this study wasn’t performed very well. First of all, they polled in a single state, at a university. That’s a very small portion of the population. To compare conservatives to the 44(?) at OSU, would be like comparing Americans in general to the 20% who still believe Bush did a great job. Second, the poll was a bit… unintelligent in itself, because I know if I had been polled, I would have said, Yes, I’m a conservative, and yes, Colbert is serious, just to make conservatives in general to look like idiots. I’m not a very nice person, and I’m also not bipartisan or conservative.

@kyle: Follow kj’s advice. For humanity’s sake. Please.

16. stephen-colbert | Images Archiveon 14 Jun 2009 at 8:19 pm

[...] http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/2009/04/28/study-shows-that-conservatives-dont-know-stephen-colber… [...]

17. ronon 30 Sep 2009 at 7:45 pm

What do you expect from people who think the earth is only 6000 years old? Critical thinking skills based on evidence?

18. Jayon 01 Feb 2010 at 4:03 pm

This guy is is to funny. you huys should have seen the jokes he made when obama was coming up the ranks in the election he compared him to brownies and iphone i know..

19. Jonnyon 02 Jun 2010 at 11:59 pm

Arariel: The poll was done by researchers at the Ohio State University, not solely at the University (which is the largest in the world BTW).

Kyle: Take the others’ advice…

Otherwise, I find it hard to believe that most conservatives believe that Colbert is serious…although if they do maybe natural selection will weed them out…

20. Steven C Wilsonon 26 Apr 2012 at 2:40 am

For years I’ve noticed a lack of awareness about comedy from many conservitives (okay, I’ve laughed at one or two Republican jokes). Liberal and conservitive brains are different, and that is not opinion but actual research.