Apr 13 2009

Some of the More Disturbing Cosplay Pictures of All Time

Published by at 10:45 am under Oddly Enough,Video Games

Bad Cosplay

For those that need a refresher course:

Cosplay short for “costume play,” is a type of performance art whose participants outfit themselves, with often-elaborate costumes and accessories, as a specific character or idea. Characters are usually sourced in various Japanese and East Asian media, including manga, anime, tokusatsu, comic books, graphic novels, video games, and fantasy movies.

In other words, the portrayals of the various characters should at least be somewhat accurate.  And more importantly, I’m not sure the intended purpose of a costume is to scare the living crap out of people like myself.

Nevertheless, the cosplay subculture is bound to run into some psychos.  In fact there are more than I’d like to count.  Here’s a sample of some of the more disturbing images of the cosplay culture.

Tifa

Bad Cosplay

58 Responses to “Some of the More Disturbing Cosplay Pictures of All Time”

1. Zilon 13 Apr 2009 at 11:50 am

Okay, we get it, fat people should not cosplay thin people.

..and the Gundam cosplay’s epic ;)

2. Venroon 13 Apr 2009 at 12:27 pm

I’d have to agree about that Gundam cosplay. And half of these people should cosplay Rufus.

3. Blondeon 13 Apr 2009 at 8:06 pm

Need a “best of” cosplay to make up for this. It still hurts my eyes.

4. simonon 14 Apr 2009 at 6:04 am

I’m not even sure who some of these people think they are cosplaying.

5. Justinon 14 Apr 2009 at 8:44 am

i really like that rock lee … black rock lee.. who is apparently peeing himself bwahaha!

6. [...] Some of the More Disturbing Cosplay Pictures of All Time [Unreality] [...]

7. Selaniton 15 Apr 2009 at 5:33 am

The only pics I see here that strike me as “disturbing” are the one of the Rock Lee guy pissing himself, and the one of the ultra-skinny guy standing in the woods in panties (who the heck is he supposed to be, anyway?)

All the others appear to be some combination of: overweight, queer, or black. Which is far more disturbing than any of the pics.

8. Mikeon 15 Apr 2009 at 5:40 am

I think the Black Rock Lee (Let’s call him Blackie Chan) just has a lot of nut sweat.
    But yeah, that Quistis (the one with the little chain thing) is horrifying.
    Most of them were.
    But the Gundam.
    It’s so simple.
    It works.
    I’m stealing it.
    Wizard World East, here I come.

9. Katherine Don 15 Apr 2009 at 9:16 am

Wow I am really speechless… yeah that gundam one got me rolling… :)

10. Samon 15 Apr 2009 at 9:38 am

Wow… you guys are assholes. Costumes like these take a lot of work, and a lot of balls to put your self out there.

11. bobon 15 Apr 2009 at 10:40 am

That…fur…girl…pink…ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

12. MsR3don 15 Apr 2009 at 10:44 am

So…Apparently only thin beautiful Asian or white cosplayers are allowed?

Some of the best cosplayers you see are hired by the company to portray the character in a so-called beautiful fashion. Secondly, yes… there are some questionable tastes in outfit choices on some people, but other then that, cosplay is supposed to be fun and expressive. Some of the outfits, such as the Bleach cosplay are well done. Plus, Man-Faye and Sailor Bubba are kind of iconic in a 4-chan way.

13. natsumeon 15 Apr 2009 at 10:46 am

Pretty low blows for some of those ..

What the hell is wrong with a kid doing the prince from Katamari Damacy or Felicia from Dark Stalkers?

A good chunk of these are done for comedic effect, certainly man-faye and the resident sailor bubba from Acen.

14. Tashaon 15 Apr 2009 at 11:39 am

Man Faye ROCKS! He may be disturbing to see in costume but he’s a really nice guy and totally funny ;) I met him at Anime Expo in 2004 and got my pic taken with him.

15. rook_1eon 15 Apr 2009 at 11:56 am

Gundam. Its genius…

16. Pitch Blackon 15 Apr 2009 at 11:59 am

Fat people who are comfortable with themselves and having fun? HOW DARE THEY! FOR SHAME! FOR SHAME!

17. ptrixon 15 Apr 2009 at 12:54 pm

why, Why, WHY do fat guys cosplay as Faye Valentine, when they’d be much more convincing as Jet Black?

18. Gregon 15 Apr 2009 at 1:13 pm

Ouch! My eyes are burning!

19. Jabezon 15 Apr 2009 at 1:38 pm

this is why Americans should not get involved in the Asian sport of cosplay

20. graphicartist2k5on 15 Apr 2009 at 1:41 pm

there NEEDS to be a rule that states: MEN CANNOT DRESS UP AS FEMALE ANIME CHARACTERS. if this rule is broken at any cosplay convention, said man that has broken this rule should get his ass SERIOUSLY kicked.

21. jackon 15 Apr 2009 at 1:50 pm

ROFL

Let see, the right term would be kuso. It is kind of like a train wreck that you just gota watch.

22. Fatty McGeeon 15 Apr 2009 at 3:03 pm

Nice examples, but sadly I’ve seen worse.
    Why is man Faye up there twice? What soft of punishment is this?

Gundam guy is awesome, has an action figure, and was featured in a Japanese ad. Just goes to show that mocking crap cosplay can become it’s own form of EPIC cosplay.

23. Dannyon 15 Apr 2009 at 5:11 pm

I am scarred for life..

24. [...] via Unreality [...]

25. M I N Non 01 May 2009 at 7:33 pm

“cosplay is supposed to be fun and expressive”

Come on with that crap, everyone says it pose to be fun. is it fun for us to see our favorite characters butchered?

26. i S m e x yon 02 May 2009 at 3:51 am

wow well the gundam is epic all the others are epic fails and that asian has the world’s smallest penis… i swear he must masterbate with tweezers

27. Steveon 02 May 2009 at 4:26 pm

The cat-girl in pink? I’d totally hit that. And not in my automobile either.

(I’m talkin’ like the Fist of an Angry God)

28. Carloson 30 May 2009 at 8:20 am

The thick girl with the pink hair and cat paws is sexy. I’ve done a lot worse in my time.

29. [...] Some of the More Disturbing Cosplay Pictures of All Time Tagged and categorized as: News , Quick Links | TrackBack URI [...]

30. crazytomon 08 Jul 2009 at 11:17 am

epic fail on Yoruichi (third from top) one of the hottest chicks in Bleach

31. [...] here on Unreality. More specifically, we enjoy leering at the hot chicks and making fun of the truly sad failed attempts. But I figured I’d switch it up and feature the best of the best, and after an afternoon [...]

32. Leighon 09 Jul 2009 at 9:51 pm

I think that Katamari one is actually pretty badass.

33. COSPLAYERon 27 Jul 2009 at 7:08 pm

just look

34. Tomon 05 Aug 2009 at 6:11 pm

WHY sooooooo many crossdressing ones??? And the Samus one made me laugh friggen hard.

35. Katon 20 Sep 2009 at 7:35 pm

oh man whats up with the naked savor the little white panties asian…girl/boy..haha

36. Wateron 01 Oct 2009 at 11:16 am

Cosplaying takes some gut.
    But still I think that when you want to do a cosplay you should PICK the character as
    a) what characters you like
    b) what you CAN do as in:
    1. your own bodyshape/facial features
    2. you think your sewing/making ability is able to

as for crossdressing: It’s even harder than “normal cosplay”,
    with women: PLEASE BIND YOUR BREASTS! (I don’t want to see my favourite male character cosplayer with huge boobs (even man tits if the character does NOT have them)
    with men: just how many man has the gut to actually use a bra and stuff them so they would have breasts (IF the said character HAS breasts) or get their manhood hidden with good underwear? I can’t say I’ve seen many. (maybe 2 actually good male crossplayers irl and I’ve been to a LOTS of conventions over few years)

And the Gundam was epic.

37. Heidion 09 Nov 2009 at 10:17 pm

wow… ok so I know alot of time and money goes into cosplaying… but seriously? some of these people wasted alot of money…
    The Quistis one I give props because yeah she might not be the slim version from the game, but that outfit is absolutly amazing!! It’s so precise and exact, props to her!!

The pink haired cat girl… I really don’t want to see that much of her, personally, but she doesn’t look bad, cute costume.

The men dressed as women…. for God’s sake SHAVE!!! seriously… eww…

the last two women… next time just throw on a pair of Spanx and you’ll be ok.

38. Sakion 16 Nov 2009 at 12:25 am

pfff, dude seriously? MOST cosplay is like this and i found none of these pictures disturbing. cosplay is for the fun of it, it doesent matter if your a bit over waight or not and i must say a lot of these are done for the comedy of it.

39. KIPI loveron 31 Dec 2009 at 9:29 pm

Hmmm, it’s so rare to find something on the web, that literally makes you want to tear out your eyeballs, put them on the ground and stomp on them. I really feel violated by the hidiousness that is this one webpage… EW! And those of you that think it takes guts, true! So does jumping of the golden gate bridge with no strings attached, it’s stupid, but it really DOES take guts. And yes my post is neither polite nor politically correct, I don’t care. You see, I’m evil!

40. Yorunaion 14 Apr 2010 at 4:59 am

Not gunna lie, this kind if makes me want to curl up into a little tiny ball.

Seriously.

41. Mutekion 16 Jun 2010 at 12:34 pm

whoa, i was browsing cosplay pictures until i stumbled on this.. and this diffidently made me stop..

42. Stephon 28 Jun 2010 at 8:13 am

I can NOT understand WHYYYYY these idiots would get all dressed up in spandex and think it looked good?? That only looks good on fictional anime characters!!

43. dumbasson 13 Jul 2010 at 4:21 am

all i have to say is wtf

44. Melissaon 04 Sep 2010 at 8:54 pm

Well, i guess you can’t blame them cause they dont make much overweight characters these days….

45. Papasanon 21 Sep 2010 at 1:00 pm

This article is bullshit. You people are stuck in some pre-adolescent phase where you still view the world around you as a play presented for your singular approval, and no one is permitted to enjoy themselves unless they can do it in a way that pleases you. I guarantee that if a thin person cosplayed a heavy character you wouldn’t complain one bit. Grow up.

46. Mayauwon 07 Oct 2010 at 1:25 am

it make me sick..

47. anamenotsmartorfunnyon 25 Nov 2010 at 6:01 pm

well…
    some of these cosplays are really good actually. it just most of these people are overweight too. which is not fair. they can cosplay too without someone saying that its disturbing. and sure the other half was just for jokes. like that guy in he sailor moon costume. im sure he did it just for the laugh. yes, some of them are disturbing and they shouldnt cosplay as that particular character. but still.

*sigh* i dunno.

48. anonomouson 04 Dec 2010 at 10:12 pm

you’re right, this article and its comments are pretty disturbing. the presumption that fat = ugly = unable to cosplay sickened me to my stomach, not to mention the strong opposition to crossdressing.

49. Scalpelkittenon 27 Dec 2010 at 6:30 am

It’s very simple…fat people should not cosplay..I don’t wanna see a Misa from deathnote with rolls hanging out. That is what is so disgusting about cons now. Either some fat chick wants to wear an uber short skirt like the thinnies and has her nasty ass hanging out or they decide to try to cosplay some sexy character. It should be banned from cons. “If you’re overweight…don’t try!”

I don’t care who I offend in my statement, it’s effin nasty!

50. Quidon 20 Mar 2011 at 11:06 am

re: all comments of “fat people shouldn’t cosplay”

Believe it or not, fat coplayers are not all ugly. Some of them do a hell of a lot better than the thinner ones. The problems with the above ones is that they ignored the weight difference between themselves and the character.

If they had adjusted for that, these photos wouldn’t exist.

51. Kaitlinon 26 Mar 2011 at 11:28 pm

Will you please take the top picture down i work with one of the girls and she is not disturbing.She happens to be quite “normal”and attractive even if not to your standards.I’m not trying to be rube i do know it would hurt her feelings if she stumbled across this website like i did.

Thank You If You Respect My Request.

52. theotakuonlineon 03 Apr 2011 at 12:04 am

Well, in the philippines not many people cosplay and there are certain rules especially on nudity so I was shocked when I saw these.

And, uh, wow. They made these? awesome. Now if only it fit them better. Like some are too big and some are too tight.

Someone should’ve dressed up as Mario. I would praise them.

53. Sabrinaon 08 Apr 2011 at 11:19 pm

THIS SHOULD BE A LESSION TO THE PRETTY PEOPLE: THIS IS WHAT HAPPENDS WHEN U LET URSELF GO!

54. zzynxxon 11 May 2011 at 3:39 am

epic gundam !! :DD

55. Bura-samaon 23 May 2011 at 2:27 am

Some people shouldnt even try to cosplay. :U

56. Wafflekinzon 07 Oct 2011 at 1:52 pm

Okay, so I agree that all of these are horrible… except one. I actually thought the Katamari costume was awesome haha. But maybe that’s just me! Though I can see how it would look stupid as hell if you’ve never played Katamari.

57. Raveon 23 Oct 2011 at 5:20 am

Not being mean or anything, but I feel bad for the characters they were trying to cosplay.
    =_=

58. Bobon 10 Feb 2012 at 2:57 pm

The Yoruichi cosplay is great. Why people hating on that?