Mar 19 2009

9 Comic Book Movie Trailers That Made me Watch a Movie That Sucked

Published by at 10:40 am under Movies

Daredevil

I’ve mentioned this before and I’ll mention it again.  If a movie that sucks so bad can make a trailer that rules, then why can’t they just apply the same logic to the movie itself?  I mean I understand that you are editing and using the best parts of the movie to make a montage that intrigues the viewer.  But come on guys.  Just make most if not all your scenes that way.

I wonder if the editors that are making the trailers are thinking “boy these fans have no clue what they’re getting into, this thing sucks.”  I’ll bet you a million bucks that half the the time they probably are thinking that.

Comic book movies are a great example of this phenomenon.   Given most of the high tech action of these films, trailers are easy to manipulate.  But unfortunately the movies seemingly never deliver (Dark Knight sure as hell did, but you know what I mean).

Here are 9 trailers that actually made me want to see the movie, but the movie wound up sucking.  And sometimes I even knew the movie might suck but the trailer was just good enough to make me want to go.

Wanted

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ftozVc3lI

I have to admit, the action sequences here definitely pumped me up.  But the actual movie was so over the top I wanted to puke.

The Hulk

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcEugeaHQ80

I mean come on guys.  Who wouldn’t want to see The Hulk?  This trailer was definitely a “more is less” approach.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=930owrsCrwI

I guess only comic book people would want to see this movie, but the trailer was definitely good enough.

Batman and Robin

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3slInVLWC9I

Clearly one of the worst comic book movies of all time.  However, did most of you see it?  Yes.  And why?  Well, I think just because you are “supposed” to.  However, Freeze looked kind of cool and they managed to hide most of the absolutely ridiculous lines.

Elektra

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gDFuxzQSkI

I won’t lie.  Very cool trailer.

Daredevil

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpOcO08dHvo

Again, cool trailer.  Lots of potential here but boy did this movie blow.

Ghost Rider

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAa375C_FOA

This was a debatable trailer.  I kind of thought to myself  “eh, this movie might suck but I’m going to watch it anyway.”  Point is, even though I wasn’t anticipating a great movie, I still saw it.  And that means the trailer did its job.

Spiderman 3

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szh5ZsAcgJU

The black costume?  That was so badass in the trailer.  Movie was way under expectations.

Watchmen

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m16nZq4Pr8c

Enough Said.  Damnet I was disappointed.

12 Responses to “9 Comic Book Movie Trailers That Made me Watch a Movie That Sucked”

1. Willon 19 Mar 2009 at 1:34 pm

I liked Watchmen. Maybe cause I didn’t read the book.

You should make one for horror movies. I’m sure there’s plenty of good trailers – bad movies.

2. Dudeon 19 Mar 2009 at 8:01 pm

For horrors there are all bad movies :). Totally agree with the list I didn’t watch watchmen so that one is pending. And the one that hurt the most was the ghost rider , director said that comic was too dark and he decided to put humor in … what an idiot!

3. Robyn Robotronon 20 Mar 2009 at 2:23 am

Nice article, but you should do one of trailers that kept people away from good movies, like Super Troopers and such.

4. Markon 20 Mar 2009 at 12:57 pm

super troopers was hilarious!

5. zsaszon 23 Mar 2009 at 2:51 pm

watchmen trailer made me read the comic…and then id have watched the film no matter what.

and thought the film was a work of genius – off to watch it again tomorrow

6. Ronon 23 Mar 2009 at 10:51 pm

Batman and Robin, ugh!

7. Alonon 03 Apr 2009 at 12:06 am

I would have to say that the Watchmen trailer was one of the best trailers I have ever seen for any movie. The emotions, music, and combination of footage was pure magic. However, it was extremely misleading as the movie was not what it was made to look like.

8. Freckleson 18 May 2010 at 4:51 pm

@Will – I didn’t read the Watchmen graphic novel, and hated the movie. Go figure.

The only one of these I actually liked (even though it sucked) was Spider-Man 3, only because Venom scared the sh*t out of me as a kid and it was awesome to see him again.

LXG was freaking awesome in theaters until I started reading all the books from which the characters came. Now seeing what they did to Mina makes me want to puke. But Sean Connery as a grouchy and slightly emo Alan Quartermain isn’t half bad, and The Invisible Man still gets a good chuckle out of me whenever I catch the movie on TV.

But, all that said, I totally agree with this list. :) Great job.

9. Adam Con 18 May 2010 at 5:53 pm

I enjoyed all of those movies except Batman and Robin…Guess my standards are appallingly low.

10. Rob Don 08 Jun 2010 at 11:53 am

I have to say, i really liked watchmen. it was visually pleasing, the dialogs were memorable, and it was very true to the graphic novel (well at least as true as it could have been for a movie of that length and because of the amount of content in the novel) If you have read the novel, you would at least be able to appreciate the respect that zack snyder and the script writers gave to moore and gibbons.

11. Lady Sheamuson 18 Jul 2010 at 10:26 am

What?!!!! Watchmen was really good (and I’m a serious fan of the original graphic novel). I have to say that it’s rather fanboyish to even complain about a movie so faithful to the source material. I couldn’t even nitpick about anything. I saw that movie twice, paying for a friend as a gift one time, IN JAPAN, which came to $45 bucks, and I didn’t regret it!

12. Chrison 26 Mar 2012 at 10:42 am

Watchmen wasn’t that bad it was ok just a tad bit long but it had to be and it did have some great moments in it. Wanted is ok, funnier than I thought but it’s not horrible.